Mexican honeysuckle

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I have tried my Mexican honeysuckle in a couple of places for a couple of years each and it just doesn't look good. It is bare on the bottom with only 3-4 sets of leaves on top. Some of them are a washed out yellow-green. It is blooming. I don't like to baby plants after a year and I bought this thinking it would do well. Any ideas before I take it out? I don't have a big yard, so things have to look good,at least part of the time.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Firecracker bush I don't have probs with- it comes back every year. It does get a ton of neglect...

Dallas, TX

Passion flower? Looks good until it's destroyed by butterflies. :D

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

It got shovel pruned on Sunday. Still pondering what to put in its space. I think I might do an annual purple basil.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Havent tried Dark Opal, but most of the purple basils i have had I have to mow and pull after the first year.love the African Blue- no seeds

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from kittriana :
Havent tried Dark Opal, but most of the purple basils i have had I have to mow and pull after the first year.love the African Blue- no seeds

Good point! I will look for that variety. Did you get a plant or seeds?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

African blue has no seeds. Usually we replace each yr with a new plant, but this yr was hot in Feb and the cuttings from last yrs plants growing in the windowsill are doing great outdoors now.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Well duh, you said it didn't set seeds, so that was a silly question I asked. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.