Is this a black beauty mulberry ? Or some other kind of mulberry tree

San Jose, CA

I got this mulberry over a year ago from Willis orchards to attract and feed birds and wildlife . When I got the tree it was over 6 feet tall and in over a year it has grown to over 11 feet high. Now it had over hundreds of flowers on it but almost all have since fallen off. It is supposed to be a black beauty mulberry growing to only 15 feet with about 1 inch long berries and self fertile. But it's looking like some kind of a male mulberry variety instead I don't know. Here are some pictures. Does anyone maybe have a black beauty mulberry and can help me if this is or isn't one and if i possibly received rhe wrong kind of tree? Also I though black beauty fruits in summer but this one now in early March is almost finished with all its flowers most have already fallen off. READ LESS

Thumbnail by saskatoon917 Thumbnail by saskatoon917 Thumbnail by saskatoon917 Thumbnail by saskatoon917 Thumbnail by saskatoon917
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Black Mulberrries have a limited range where they will grow, although I think you are in it. I have never actually seen one as they do not grow here. My understanding is that they are called Black-White-Red not based on the color of the berry, but on the color of the blossom/catkin. The large size catkins in photo do seem like a Black one, but the color is more like a White or Red/White hybrid. White Mulberries are considered a trash tree here because they do grow like weeds. But the birds and I are fond of them. Does it have Mitten or Teddybear shaped leaves? That is also typical of a white or white hybrid.

Gainesville, FL

Long straight canes signify Morus alba. I had been in communication with Jay Young of Willis Orchard about selling incorrect plants (not just mulberry). He claims that if it has a black berry, it is Morus nigra (which is, of course, not true). I can verify your plant by microscopic examination of it's nuclei, if you like (entails mailing me a leaf). Black Mulberry (Morus nigra) has eleven times the DNA in it's nucleus as Morus alba or Morus rubra. I feel also that Willis grows seedling trees (other that by cuttings), because why would anyone knowingly propagate fruit trees with male characteristics (those are male catkins on your tree). I bought a similar tree from Willis in 2009. It only produces a dozen or so poor quality fruit each year.

Thumbnail by Livinginawe Thumbnail by Livinginawe Thumbnail by Livinginawe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.