Willow?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Saturday I went with a group to a new private Botanical Garden near here- Bonhoeffer Botanical Gardens, not really open yet but much of the hardscape is done. Also many large plantings, and a zillion or so daffodils were blooming. Then in the ponds and streams they have platforms- each with blown glass works of art, and some jokes like a big rubber ducky. Wow someone with a dream and $$$! Interestingly, each kiosk has a billboard divided up-half is the plant and nature info, then info about the Pilchuck Glass works and glassblowing (a local place that teaches glass blowing and has glass artists on site), then there is a Bible verse or Christian info, and then a section on remembering the Holocaust. Apparently the Bonhoeffer family is descended from a German minister who preached against the Nazis and was then murdered by them. I plan to go back and see it as it takes shape.
Anyway, back to the trees and shrubs. I thought this is some sort of willow? Probably no way to ID it now. It was growing in a boggy stream margin.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, a willow; as you guess, identification to which species won't be at all easy.

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Sounds like an interesting place under development.

I'll not rant on appropriate information to present if one expects an ID - you'd be able to finish my sentences before I typed them.

Glad to see Resin back in Da House...

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

If not a dappled willow, what other possibility might you guess?

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I cant' help with the ID but I sure like the post!

Well I may go back in a few months, get some better photos. I liked the catkins.

I can understand why you like the catkins, they're lovely, how about those red branches? I'll be waiting here for your return trip.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and where are the pictures of the daff's?

Well I was with a group of people, so I took very few pictures. I have found that I need time to take photos, and generally when I am with a group picture taking makes me lag behind too much. Plus then I can't chat. I didn't take my nice camera, just had the cell phone.

Include the people in the plant picture...

Why you clever devil.

Actually, they got beat last night...

My entire South and West brackets are still alive. East and Midwest - not so much.

Need my Ducks to keep paddlin' to glory...

Clever Duck, then ;-)

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Did you ever go back? Was it a black pussywillow?

Have not been back yet-could go this coming Saturday, but have another plan- My sister bought a new house, she is trying to decide what trees to plant in the yard. I told her of a book I have by a crazy tree nut- he self published a book called "Trees of Seattle" now in second edition. He tells you the addresses and heights of good examples of every kind of tree that can be found in Seattle!!! So now we are going to drive around Seattle looking at trees on Saturday. I am sure we will go to the Arboretum and probably the "Locks" which have been landscaped along the waterway, but most of these are on private property. We will also swing by the Author's home, where he has gardened his whole life and holds plant sales and tours. Maybe I will have some new pics from this tree tour.

Are you describing Mr. Arthur Lee Jacobson...

He'd had a sworn acolyte on another forum who worshipped the ground upon which he strode.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That sounds like an adventure!

I am indeed, he sounds like a very interesting person (for people like us, anyway).
I will have to look up those old threads.

That sounds like loads of fun Pistil, I can't wait for the reports to filter in!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.