3/14: Release today + bug reports here

Culiver City, CA(Zone 9b)

We are pushing out the final patch for missing post dates and a fix for view counts on the homepage this afternoon. Please use this thread if you see anything unusual on the site today.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Alison, but there are still lots of bugs caused by all the other patches so I don't think we've ever stopped seeing unusual things on the site. We're all hoping those bugs start getting fixed.

Terese, Thanks for the link!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes, Terese..........thanks. 12 pages of replies was getting a bit "much".

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the link Terese.

Alison, how about answering some of the questions in the last thread please?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Alison,
How long will the site banner announcement about todays (3/14/16) release of fixes stay up?

Could you give us an alternative way(s) to reach you should we again be unable to do so through this site?

How often will you let any of us know via a post on this thread that what we post here has been duly noted? What time of day can any of us expect a 'check in' from you or the Admin team?

In general, how many reports of site issues does it take for an issue to be regarded as in need of a fix or immediate attention? Is there any particular information that we can supply that may be useful in our report?

Was the fix being released today beta tested and live beta tested pre release?

Thanks in advance for your answers to my questions above and for noticing via banner post of impending changes.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Alison, one further question about this fix. If it creates one or more problems for users or site wide, will it be immediately recalled or will we have to live with whatever as best we can?

Double thanks.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

When I used the Return to Forum Home Page button at the bottom of a thread
(after the preview or submit post box) Y received the following message:

Database error: cannot use database gardening
MySQL Error: 2006 (MySQL server has gone away)
Session halted.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Let them finish the patch coleup- isnt 3 edt yet

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

weird.... [well maybe not so] but I clicked to "watch" this thread and it did not come up in my watcher. I did double check and it is "watched"

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

3:28 Eastern time: Still have a forum with a magically changing date (Beginner Gardening).

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Me too- Garden Design and Beginner Gardening are still doing the magical date-changing thing.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I clicked watch earlier today but it did not come up when new posts were made later in the day. Hmmmmph!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the link!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from alisonrose :
We are pushing out the final patch for missing post dates and a fix for view counts on the homepage this afternoon. Please use this thread if you see anything unusual on the site today.

Alison,
1)There remain a number of forums that do not update properly even with today's final patch

2) My Watched Forum counts on my Homepage are still as off as they were before today's fix. Says I am 'watching 50 forums but only 39 show as watched.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

On the Insect and Spider ID forum all the threads listed at the bottom have the same name but when I click on each thread they clearly have their own name. Just another glitch....doubt if they will ever stop.

Culiver City, CA(Zone 9b)

Eggs_zachtly and Pistil, are you still seeing the incorrect date on those forums? Should be fixed now.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

As of right now, all forums appear to be displaying the correct timestamp for the last post.

When following a link in the thread watcher, and then returning to the home page, the corresponding watched forum isn't marked read. Is this by design? Or, is this a bug?

Dates are working now!
Also, I had been having a similar but opposite problem as Eggs, now not happening. In my problem, if I went to the forum and read a thread that happened to be in my thread watcher, instead of clicking on it in the watched thread list, then it would not disappear from the watched thread list. This problem is no longer occurring.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from Eggs_Zachtly :
As of right now, all forums appear to be displaying the correct timestamp for the last post.

When following a link in the thread watcher, and then returning to the home page, the corresponding watched forum isn't marked read. Is this by design? Or, is this a bug?

Has it marked it as read now? If so, it may be a slight delay in the sync; otherwise, it may well be a lingering, related bug.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

No. It was still stuck (1+ hours), until someone posted to another thread (that I'm not subscribed to).
After going to view that post, the forum is marked as read (as expected).
This is definitely a bug:
Accessing a forum via a watched thread, does not mark the forum as read, when returning home.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2016 1:23 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Have you checked to make sure there isn't another as yet unread thread in the same forum? I ask this because I was seeing the same thing. The Updates Forum still had a giant, red "YES" beside it even after I had read the latest from all 3 of the most recent threads. I found that for me the problem was due to posts in the thread about PlantFiles which had posts I hadn't yet viewed. Once I opened that one, shipped to new, and closed it again, the Updates Forum changed to reflect that I had read everything. (If that's not what you are discussing, please disregard.)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Trouble logging in or loading DG several times through out this morning.
Other users had same problem (See Facebook page)

Any explanation?

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Quote from DreamOfSpring :
Have you checked to make sure there isn't another as yet unread thread in the same forum? I ask this because I was seeing the same thing. The Updates Forum still had a giant, red "YES" beside it even after I had read the latest from all 3 of the most recent threads. I found that for me the problem was due to posts in the thread about PlantFiles which had posts I hadn't yet viewed. Once I opened that one, shipped to new, and closed it again, the Updates Forum changed to reflect that I had read everything. (If that's not what you are discussing, please disregard.)

Yep. I just confirmed it, via coleup's comment, above. =)

No. It was still stuck (1+ hours), until someone posted to another thread (that I'm not subscribed to).
Accessing a forum via a watched thread, does not mark the forum as read, when returning home.

Yep, we're noticing it too.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Today I accessed a thread on this forum through me Watched Forum which indicated there was a new post in this forum. When I had read the thread and returned home, this forum changed to NO but in my thread watcher there was a thread in this forum still indicating YES for a new post unread by me.

Shouldn;t the forum watcher stay yes or new until all new posts have been read since last visit? That's how it used to work....

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Coleup, I also had trouble accessing DG this morning. I finally gave up after a while. It would try and try to load then I'd get a large message saying, "Cannot Display This Page" (or something similar).

It's still being a little slow on and off, but at least it loads.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Actually, I always remember the forum changing to "No" as soon as one thread was read. It never made sense to me, but that's how I always remember it, long before any changes were made.

The "Watched Threads" is definitely acting wonky, with threads not dropping off as they should. We've got a ticket filed with the techs to fix it, and nuts is right - the Yes/No has always been a little counter-intuitive :-).

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sent Terry dmail - noticed older posts deteriorating within the thread to puter speak...not all of them tho

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1414435/

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

This thread is suddenly "stuck" on my home page. It was fine a little while ago.

edited to say: It unstuck as soon as I sent this post, but Terry is right, the watched threads are still wonky.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2016 1:04 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Posting to a 'stuck' thread will 'unstick' it. I used that work around a number of times during the recent mixup. Naturally, that is just a cosmetic improvement. The problem which caused the thread to 'hang' still exists.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Terry ~
This is regarding uploading photos in BirdFiles. I really don't know which thread to post this on and It might get lost in the PlantFiles thread.

I've noticed for quite a while the caption function doesn't work. There's a place to type in a caption, but it doesn't show up in the preview and it doesn't post.

I've been avoiding posting many bird pictures because sometimes the caption really enhances a photo. An example is a "Leucistic" House Finch I wanted to post earlier today. Many people have never seen a Leucistic bird and without an explanation might not understand what they were looking at.

I checked to see if recent uploads by other people have captions and they don't. At least not the ones I've checked.

Sorry to add something else to the list and I apologize if it's been mentioned before.

(Zone 5a)

Quote from nutsaboutnature :
Terry ~
This is regarding uploading photos in BirdFiles. I really don't know which thread to post this on and It might get lost in the PlantFiles thread.

I've noticed for quite a while the caption function doesn't work. There's a place to type in a caption, but it doesn't show up in the preview and it doesn't post.

I ran into that problem, but was able to go back and edit the image to put that in. I have not uploaded any birds in a while to know if this still works.

The caption issue was fixed for plants. My captions from this week showed after the images were approved.

I wonder, can you describe "leucism" in 20 words or less? :D With some captions I had a hard time getting below that number.

As a fall back, you could put a comment with the image. I've done that when my description would be well beyond 20 words.

Edited to say, I posted an issue with bird file images on the plant files thread, but no one has addressed it. I have to admit, it gets discouraging not having things like this responded to. Even just hearing, "We cannot do that." is something.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2016 11:13 AM

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Terry,

I read Chillybean's message above, did a BACK TO TOP and Home, which usually "clears" my "watched" messages, but this thread appeared again as unread, which surprised me. But then I discovered the cause was that Chillybean had just edited the message, which had the effect of causing it to have the "unread" status. Come to think of it, that is a nice feature, whether it was accidental or "on purpose".

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Chilly, no it's not easy to describe Leucism in 20 words or less. And yes, a comment can also help, but I found I could at least let people know that the "all white" female in my photo of a House Finch pair was caused by a condition called Leucism. If nothing else it puts a name on the reason she had white feathers.

At one time I could go back and edit the image, but that seems to be a problem now with other Files as well. I uploaded a bird picture a couple weeks ago and couldn't find any way to edit it.

(Zone 5a)

That's true, if they have the name, they can search for more info if they wish. :)

There is no edit feature anywhere on the files I previously uploaded, but I finally found the Report Error button!!! I had been looking for that thing for months! Now I don't remember what I wanted to use it for.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

In my searching earlier today I found a way to edit a past comment, but not a photo upload.

I looked at a bunch of recent pictures taken by different people in the BirdFiles forum. Every one of them makes it appear like there's a caption by saying, "So and so wrote"...followed by the name of the bird. So I looked at my last upload where my caption didn't show up and it said the same thing. I know what I wrote and it wasn't the name of the bird!

I saw the Report Error button, but since other error reports haven't been getting any response I don't know if anyone is monitoring them. Or maybe they're too overwhelmed. That's why I posted my comments/report in this thread.

(Zone 5a)

Quote from nutsaboutnature :

I saw the Report Error button, but since other error reports haven't been getting any response I don't know if anyone is monitoring them. Or maybe they're too overwhelmed. That's why I posted my comments/report in this thread.

I wonder, too, if they are overwhelmed or something. About the Report Error button, I had not seen where it went after they did the big Files upgrade, so I am happy to know where it is now if I ever need to report anything again.

Aaagh now I can't post a reply in the PNW forum. If I click on either post, or on preview, it gives me a preview screen, but absolutely nothing happens when I then click on post.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

It appears there is some spam on the Mid-South March 2016 - even though DG has the wrong date thread. Someone posted a link trying to get people to sign a petition to eliminate daylight savings time. I didn't think this was allowed!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.