Seedlings not growing

Mount Holly, NJ

So, I started these seedlings on 2/5. Out of about 250 flowers this is the only tray I am having issues with. All of the rest are in the jiffy pods and are doing well(some even about to flower). These, however, I started in regular sterile seed starting mix. Everything germinated nicely but got to the point in the pictures and just stopped. I figured since the seed starting mix is sterile and had no fertilizer they needed a boost. About a week and a half ago I hit them with 1/4 strength 5-1-1 fish fertilizer. I've done that 3 times now and haven't noticed any change. Now I'm thinking I need something a little stronger and was thinking about giving them and 1/2 strength dose of miracle gro or similar chemical fertilizer. recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ps the plants pictured are butterfly bush(the really small ones), new Guinnea impatien, and some echinacea. They get 16 hours of light a day and are kept between 70 and 75 degrees.

Thumbnail by Mjh11 Thumbnail by Mjh11
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Fertilizer wont help them. You might check for bugs or fungus...also they seem to be waiting for more light.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2016 4:10 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Your seedlings look healthy (and not even etoliated), from what can be seen in the photos. Just give them time.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2016 4:59 PM

Mount Holly, NJ

Thanks for the replies. Guess I just need a bit more patience. Just seemed weird that all the seedlings in this tray are so far behind the others. I have flowers ready to open on two different types. (Which is amazing in itself seeing as they're only 5 weeks old.)

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd pinch the flowers so the plants can put their energy into growing, and root development.

If they were looking for light they would be stretching. They look really good. The ones that are futher a long are different types so have different requirements.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

A little tea tree oil in the water will help with any fungus.
Sounds like you've had some real success with your seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.