Weak Livingstone daisy seedlings

Eastliegh, United Kingdom

For the second year in a row my Livingstone daisy seedlings have been a floppy disaster. I have included a pic of my other seedlings that have the same light, heat and watering (although I realise Livingstone Daisy's are desert plants) to show just how naff these are doing.

Thumbnail by Chris365 Thumbnail by Chris365
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

They don't look so bad - they are not badly etoliated. If anything, they seem to be showing the effects of low light vs. outdoor sunlight, but I don't see why they won't do fine once planted outdoors. Are you growing them in a window or under fluorescent lgihts?

On a bright windowsill. Its still freezing outside so no chance of getting them outside anytime soon

On a bright windowsill. Its still freezing outside so no chance of getting them outside anytime soon

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I imagine you'll be able to get them outside pretty soon. As I said, they don't look badly etoliated. If you find some other subjects don't do as well, you could look into getting some fluorescent lights for improved light intensity over that provided by a windowsill.
If you happen to have a photographic light meter, it's interesting to take some measurements. The deepest shade outdoors (against the foundation on the north side of the house) is brighter than our sunniest windowsill.

That's really interesting. I have a grow lamp but would rather not use it, if its just the Livingstone Daisy's that are unhappy. The marigolds and rudbeckia are doing fantastically well without. Thanks for your help - I look forward to frost free gardening soon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.