Hammerhead Worm (land planarian) (Bipalium kewense)

Webster, TX

Thumbnail by AaronMcGrew
Slidell, LA

Between lastnight and this morning l found 6 of them in my yard after it rained. Just a week ago I found one and didn't know what it was until I googled it. Our backyard has been dead/dying for about a year now and really no earthworms. Now I know why! Ugh! I'm in Southern Louisiana.

Huntington Beach, CA

I found a hammerhead worm today after I sprayed down my turf. I was really creeped out because I’ve never seen a worm like this! EVER! At first I thought it might be harmful to my dogs but after searching for it online, apparently they are harmless to people and pets. Although they are detrimental to earthworms! I live in Huntington Beach, CA and am now wondering how many are in my yard. AND how the heck it got there! Am I the only one who has found one? Or is Huntington Beach a known area? My back patio is just basically turf and a bunch of potted plants. On the other side of my wooden fence is grass. I’d prefer to get rid of these nasty things. Any way I could kill them in the masses? I understand that if not killed properly they can multiply if cut in half or not smushed all the way.

Thumbnail by KimCap

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.