Damage? Woodpecker?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Is this from a woodpecker? Can the tree survive? Anything I can do about it?
Delmarva peninsula I have seen some of those big red headed woodpeckers.
Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Hi haighr:

Woodpeckers make those kind of cavities for their nests in dead wood of trees, so this is quite normal.

What is NOT normal: that tree is probably a species of Ash (Fraxinus sp.) that has likely been under assault by the invasive insect Emerald Ash Borer. Unless you or someone else has been treating that tree against this devastating pest, it is probably mostly or all dead already.

Tell us more about that tree, and maybe some additional closeups of the trunk, branches, stems, and buds - but I think I can see enough to ID it.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I will get some better pics today. We just moved here a year ago and I know we have a real problem planting around it as I tried to start a couple forsythia nearby and they just keep croaking. Even can't have grass growing under it or the other two nut trees beside it.
Thanks for your help.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

You are so right my friend! I took a look. I saw all the little emerald ash borer "d" shaped holes. Top of tree already broken off and dead.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

You are so right my friend! I took a look. I saw all the little emerald ash borer "d" shaped holes. Top of tree already broken off and dead.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Dang

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Wow VV, that was impressive!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Yah!

I'm not happy to be right, or that the tree is a goner.

I'm happy that the woodpecker is doing the job finding a home...

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

So what next? Sit back and wait!

Haighr, it sure looks like a dilemma to me, it would be for me. Before the Picidae took up residence, it would have been an easy decision to fell the tree and replace it.

As it is, I'd feel too honored to have the home on my property, so I'd sit back and watch for as long as it takes.

Don't build a patio under it...

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

It still has some life in it as some limbs are budding. I will not be taking it down, it will have to decide when for itself!

That's really kind of you, thanks for letting me know that Haighr.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

😉
I'll try to keep you posted.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2016 7:43 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.