Red headed Woodpecker?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Is this tree damage from a woodpecker or something else?

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Possibly a Pileated woodpecker. When they start pecking it's like watching a wood chipper spit out chips!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Pileated Woodpecker work.

But remember the woodpecker is only digging these holes because there is food in there for it, which means the tree already had a severe infestation of carpenter ants (their main food), and would have failed due to them soon. Even possible that the woodpecker might save the tree by getting rid of the ants, but it's probably too late for that.

Resin

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Worse than that ... It's an ash and is infested by the Emerald Ash Borer and am guessing that is his food supply. Wish he had gotten them sooner as the tree is about a goner unfortunately. We just moved here a year ago and hadn't noticed.

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
(Zone 5a)

Is the tree in a location that if it fell in a storm that it would not harm anything? If it is far enough from a building or road, leave it alone and enjoy your Pileated Woodpecker. Oh, I would relish seeing this woodpecker on our property. Our habitat is not right for this bird.

One of our trees is a woodpecker favorite, but sadly it is too close to the house. It's not quite as far gone as yours, but we're being watchful of it. We have already planted another tree nearby to give that time to grow before this has to be cut down.

Fargo, ND(Zone 4a)

Pileated woodpecker drillings ar typically rectangular as your photo shows. Emerald ash borer is a very serious alien invasive insect. Any infected tree should be removed to help slow its spread.

(Zone 5a)

I hadn't thought about the spread of the borer, you are right. At least the woodpecker is getting fed now. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.