March 2016, even if DG has the date wrong

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I am starting a new thread for March. Our old one was getting too long anyway. And I wanted to see if it will even show up. Our old one seems to have disappeared from the MSG page and inky shows up if you are watching it.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I've been following another thread too Elaine and people are very upset. There is good reason to be. This is getting beyond ridiculous! They could at least post some kind of banner or something acknowledging there is a problem. There has been no response from Adm. I noticed a post Melody made for Dave's on FB. I even asked on it what was going on. It just seems like they have people working on the software that don't have a clue what they are doing. Yes the plant files were the only reason I joined Dave's years ago.

I saw that you had posted over there too, Charlotte. I am glad you have been following that thread too. Some mad folks over there. Interesting that one of the admin's was apparently let go. Or so it seemed. I don't think it is their fault.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't think it is adm's fault but I do think Adm should be communication with us about the problem rather than just totally ignoring all dmails, thread posts etc!

I agree but maybe they have been told not to do that.

This March thread is showing up at the very end of the MSG forums. We may have to start a new thread to get it to post on the first page. It looks like they have finally fixed the current problem.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Well at least the date problem is fixed! It showed up in my watched threads this morning and I was able to get here by clicking on the watched thread - March 16 even if it is the wrong date. It was a beautiful day here yesterday. I went on an easy hike with my hiking group then we all went to eat together. Then Sarah, myself and another lady went to local big lumber company/hardwood store. They have a great selection of plants and containers. They were set up at the Flower and Garden show. We all ended up buying a wonderful hanging basket. They were huge baskets full of a variety of foliage type plants. It was only 15.00. They really have good prices. I'll probably put it back in my little green house while I'm gone.

I don't know if it's fixed or not. Charlotte your new post didn't show up in my watched threads. So I had to go to page 151 to get here.

I worked in the yard Saturday morning. I had bought 3 shrubs to plant out in a little bed where the propane tank is. I have a few iris and a few shrubs out there already but never really planted much out there. I really have too much to take care of but my landscape guy put a bunch of leftover compost out there a year or so ago so I kinda started working on it. I'm going to put down some cardboard and try to keep more weeds out. That's my biggest problem, and I really don't need another bed to take care of. So if I can get the shrubs to grow maybe it won't be so bad. We'll see.

Yesterday I had a long race with most of my group. It was really warmer than when we're used to running. Earl went with me and went over to Cabela's while we ran, then we went to Ruby Tuesday's to get a bite to eat. I took a shower when we got home and then it was almost time to go to see Blue Man Group last night. It's part of our season subscription to Broadway theater league's performances. We had seen them a few years back but the show is a little different. They are really a lot of fun.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello all..... it has been a week I think since I got to get on here and get caught up! It was a crazy busy week!

I have worked on tax stuff some but I am not finished - I HOPE to finish by the end of the week. But, I was refinancing a HELOC we have on our home because it was due for renewal in July, but they had a special going so I could lock in a 3.24% rate. I decided I would just go ahead and redo the loan now so that we could have access to a line of credit if things come up with all three kids possibly moving this summer. Anyway, long story short it was supposed to be a "drive by appraisal" with pics to make sure the house is standing! NOW, they have decided that I have to have a full appraisal because they don't have anyone on their list that can do a drive by in this county! I was so ticked - because we discussed all of this in advance! Now, I have been trying to get my house straightened up because the last appraisal I had they took pictures of every closet and every nook and cranny! I did NOT really have time to deal with trying to get every room spotless. The house sure looks a lot better, but I REALLY would prefer to be working outside on these nice days. Plus, currently we are working in LR every weekend so it makes getting things done here tough. So far, I have managed to get the sewing room, game room and study in pretty good shape. The study could be better, but it is presentable at least. I got my closet somewhat straightened up and the master BR cleaned yesterday. Tonight I hope to get my master bath and laundry rooms done. I am not a good housekeeper, and it is even worse when it is a beautiful day and I am stuck inside. :(

Jess had the second part of her root canal last Thursday and then went back to LR for the weekend to baby sit Kyle and Maddie's dog while they went to Birmingham. Kyle had a job interview on Friday and they looked at a few houses on Saturday and at least learned more about the different neighborhoods. Jess goes this morning to our family dentist for the final filling..... then she leaves for San Diego early Friday morning with the chemistry club from the college. She doesn't have the cyst removed until April 1 - the first date they had available! I tried to get her to let me schedule it with the oral surgeon in LR so they could get her in faster, but she is just going to wait.

Jeri, glad things are progressing on the trailer park. I know you are getting excited!
I do agree that they should have to be productive. I like Charlotte's son's idea of them volunteering if they can't locate a job....good exposure and keeps them accountable for their time.

PRAYERS please this week..... Monday is the BIG day we have been waiting for!! Alex will get an email telling him if he has matched! We are praying hard that we do not have to go thru the scramble to get a position! Prayers on his behalf are much appreciated ...and a little prayer that I can stay calm would be appreciated as well! I have felt good about this and have not really been nervous but last night it hit me bigtime ...... hopefully that is my one bought with the fear. I am trying to put it all in God's hands and not take it back!

Hope everyone has a great day! They finally got the time tickets to me so I have to get started on payroll.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sounds like you had a fun weekend Elaine. No it's not fixed! I had to go to the last page to find this thread too. The date was back to 0001 on the thread heading but it shows the correct on your last post. I imagine it's going to take a while before they get the mess straightened out!!

That's one thing I plan to do Elaine is to start going to more theater type productions. I don't want to get a subscription because I don't like all of the them and may not be able to make all the performances. I'm just going to choose what I what to see. I've had a subscription before.

I'm getting ready for my camping trip. I think it's going to rain on us but we will still have fun. We will be in an RV.

I need to go shopping for 2 small everygreen shrubs to go in the pots on my front porch. I have the gift certificate my neighbors gave me that I'm going to use for it. I don't have time to take care of anything thing else either. Just going to be maintaining and adding some annual color this year. I do like hanging baskets. I have several spots I always keep them during the summer.

My tulip magnolia is in full bloom. My azaleas have color showing through and they will be in bloom soon. I have a few iris with buds on them. My quince is blooming and my forsythia is about to bloom. My forsythia is really old. It was here before I moved here 34 years ago. The old stalks keep dying back and I think a lot of it has died this year. I may plant a new bush this year to replace the old one. I still don't have my preen down. I hope to get that done next week.

Genna, I talked with my friend whose daughter is in med school. She told me the exact same thing. They will find out Monday if the matched or not. I guess her school has about 2 applicants to ortho that they are pretty sure may have to scramble because there are so many applicants for orthopedics. Her daughter is pretty much top of her class and she said she will be pretty upset if she doesn't get one of her top 3 (Baylor, somewhere in Dallas, or St Louis-Washington). She is doing something in internal medicine I think. I would just be happy for my kid to match I think, but I understand.

Charlotte, our theater league sells a pick-three so you don't have to buy the entire season. I believe a lot of groups are going that route because they know some people don't want to buy the whole season. And ours is good about exchanging tickets for a different performance if you can't make your scheduled night. They do performances on Friday, Sat matinee and evening and Sunday matinee and evening so there's a pretty good chance we can go to something any weekend. There are also some other local theater productions around here that are really good so we try to go to some of those. And two of our local high schools do some really good plays. One is doing Wizard of Oz and one is doing Legally Blonde last weekend and next weekend. I've heard they are both great and the ones they have done in the past are very professional, energetic and fun. Quite a lot of talent in the high schools these days.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, they say the Monday after Match Friday is the biggest day in real estate - not sure they mean sales, but showings, etc. and sales too on a lot of them because they FINALLY know where they are going and they make an offer to get ready to be there in June! They officially start July 1 (I think on all residencies) but a lot of places you have to report 2 - 3 weeks early for "orientation" - unpaid of course..... so they have to get on it quickly to have a place to live!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna I guess we did a cross post. I'm sure they have seen a lot of houses that are not spotlessly clean! I hope things turn out the way Alex wants them next week. It will be a big week for sure.

Clint is the Environmental Science major. Also the one taking a 20 hour load despite Jeff telling him to slow down. He only had 12 hours of credit when he started college. I got he and Justin confused. He also is a RA. His college is very environmental conscious. Clint belongs to a environmental organization and they recently got a $250,000 grant from the college to install solar showers in one of the dorms. Clint is chairing the project and working on getting bids from contractors now. What a great experience it's going to be for him.

Justin did have 30 hours of credit when he started and is taking a regular class load but he is also scheduled to graduate early. He should graduate in 3 and 1/2 years. He is also the one working at the accounting job. He is working 20 to 30 hours a week but it hasn't affected his school work. He was selected for an honors economic class next semester that is a by invitation only class and only has 12 students.

They are both lucky that they really don't have to work to keep us with their studies. They didn't get it from me that is for sure!!! They did get it from their dad. Jeff never had to study hard - even in college. He was also able to finish earlier than normal for his major. It just came to him naturally. It always made Kristi mad! LOL She made very good grades but she really had to work at it.

Sandra, are your seedlings doing any good? A few of mine are doing ok, but we had a mouse under the house where I have my grow lights and apparently it decided it liked tomato leaves. So I lost a couple of transplanted seedlings to a mouse! Grrrrr!!! And then it dug into a couple of cells where I had re-planted some seeds. I can't win! Earl did set a trap Sunday night and caught it.

Well, here is a laugh for today. Over on the tomato forum, someone was talking about all the varieties they were growing this year. One was called Litchi, which has thorns on the plant (no thank you). Someone posted this: "I've never heard of Litchi tomatoes, so I "googled" it. I found an image of a man with a welding mask on holding a shot gun and pointing it at a tomato plant while exclaiming "Drop your fruit!" LOL

Ripley, MS

Mine look pitiful too, maybe I will get a few plants. We have had a mouse too, wonder why they waited until almost spring to come inside ? I can't find a trap anywhere, will have to get some when I got to town.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I see mice outside some time. I only see them at night when I go out to let the dogs out. However, I haven't seen any lately. We have a bunch of wild/ferral cats around and I guess they are taking care of the mice problem. I keep seeing a big black cat in my back yard. It will run away when he sees me outside. Maybe I shouldn't complain about the cats!

My tulip tree is absolutely beautiful! I would take a picture but the tree is so big a photo just doesn't do it justice. Heavy rain is supposed to be coming in late this afternoon so I'm sure that will be the end of the blooms. At least I got to see it in full bloom this year.

I'm going to have to soon have to decide what I'm going to do with my garden spot. I have a bunch of seed I forgot about last year. I may just plant those in the ground and see what happens.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well, I am not sure my house has EVER been totally spotless from one end to the other.... that is my sister's house! She can clean a house in nothing flat ..... I think she got all those genes! :( But it is looking better. I like a clean house for sure - I just get to going in so many different directions that I makes stacks of things to do later and later never comes. I have made a lot of progress and think that I am going to go ahead and request the appraisal today - and hope that it takes them a couple of days to schedule! :)

I may have to go to Arkadelphia this afternoon, or at least meet Jessica in Sparkman which is approximately half way. She forgot a cross body purse that she needs for the trip to San Diego because I told her she needed something she could keep close. Then she also wanted her swim suit so they could go swimming. She is so excited about the trip. They are planning a trip to some restaurant on Friday night that is all chemistry focused - they serve food in beakers and test tubes etc. They are all excited to be going. Then on Saturday they are planning a trip to the San Diego zoo and to the beach I believe. Another night the Chemistry dept is paying for them to go to a fancy Italian restaurant. They are presenting that day and will be dressed up - and the professor told them they will want to stay dressed that way for this restaurant so she is excited about getting to go to a really fancy place too. I hope they have good weather and really have a fun time. She has been putting in so many hours she needs a fun break! Not sure we will get to do anything on Spring break because we may be working on Alex's like maniacs if he is going to have to move - so she better enjoy this trip! :)

We have a new cat, Daisy, that adopted us right at the holidays. She came to the house and was SO thin, I couldn't stand not to feed her. Of course, once I fed her, she decided she liked it there. She is a hunter too - she has killed several birds (which I don't like) and a bunny at least. I WISH she would find the gophers! LOL But, I haven't seen any mice this winter - she may be why. She is just an outside cat, but you can tell she REALLY wants to come inside. I think she was someone's pet and they dumped her. :( She was a kitten - but not a cute cuddly baby.... probably 6 -8 months old. Now, I need to take her to get her fixed because I do NOT want any others. In fact, if I could find a good home for her, I would gladly give her away but I can't take seeing an animal starve.

My quince has been the prettiest I have ever seen it and my Spirea was so beautiful before the rain started and I have daffodils blooming everywhere. The rain last night and today will end up beating most of the blooms up, but it was sure pretty for a couple of days.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Charlotte, are ya'll still going camping this weekend??

Genna, glad you've got your house in order. My housekeeper, who has been with us for about 7-8 years now, has taken another career path and will be working in the fitness field. She is a runner too and they have 2 boys, 1 in high school and 1 in middle. She was offered a position at a gym managing and teaching fitness classes. She decided it will keep her close to home and decided to go for it. I really don't blame her. But now I'm stuck unless I can find someone I trust who can clean good for us. She cleaned every other week actually and would clean our lake condo when I needed it done.

When you said you were working on Alex's house, I guess I didn't realize they owned it and that was the reason you were having to put all the work into it. Jessica will love San Diego. Should be great weather out there and the zoo is great. There are a couple of good beach areas so I'm sure that's where they will be going. La Jolla, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach....probably one of those areas.

Earl caught another mouse. I guess we're going to have to set the trap every night!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I agree that the changes to DG are terrible. I liked it the way it was before "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Agreed Rocco --welcome to mid south...... this is our general chat thread where we discuss anything and everything that comes up. Hope you feel at home here.

I would love to have someone come in and dust and mop and clean restrooms, etc, but my husband would never go for that. Well, I guess he might now that he has had exchange students and friends live with us, but he used to be so paranoid about someone stealing something that he wouldn't consider it. I have a few more places to tidy up tonight and then, of course, right before they come I will need to vacuum again, but they are supposed to give me notice of when they are coming. With Leigh's schedule, if he knows in advance he can probably work it where he can meet them, but without advanced notice of a schedule they may be sitting and waiting for a while! I hope to proceed on and finish cleaning out the rest of the drawers in my dresser and chest of drawers. I didn't make it far with that, and there are a lot of old clothes in there that I can't wear or that are stained or have holes or whatever, and they need to come out so that I don't have the backlog of things in the laundry room that I just dealt with. IF I had somewhere I could put them in an orderly manner quickly, I would be much more likely to do it right then instead of putting it off. I also said, I am going to have to go thru the filing cabinet and eliminate a lot of old stuff - the drawers are getting too full and the files are overflowing and so I know there is a lot of stuff that is past time to keep and could be shredded. I started to buy a shredder at Sam's last week when I was at my Dr apt - after working on that filing cabinet I was sure wishing I had done so!

I am not sure which beach she mentioned - maybe La Jolla, but I will tell her those are all nice ones. They leave Arkadelphia in the morning at 7:30 - leaving a little earlier because of the constant rain, but they will land in SD around 5 tomorrow. They are supposed to have nice weather on Saturday and she is really looking forward to it. She has a world map that you scratch off places you have been - and she is looking forward to scratching off California when she returns! LOL

We helped Alex buy his house when he started med school. Charlotte first showed us the house in May and it was "the one" for him, but it sold to someone else. He left for his trip to Europe shortly after that and kept sending me text messages or emails asking if that house was back on the market. Anyway, it did come back on the market and we were able to buy it 1 week before he started classes! It was a foreclosure and we spent most of the next 8 months working up there every weekend. We had the major stuff done before they married in May the next year, but there is always a list of things that "need" to be done. Leigh knocked a few more off the list while he lived with them those 8 months, but our funds were strained because of his commute and job change, and Alex has no income while in Med School so there were some things that just didn't get done. We have been working on replacing boards on his deck and fixing a part of his fence that really needed repair. If he stays, we will eventually replace one entire side of the fence, but for now, we are just replacing two short walls that contain the gates on each side of the house. Not sure we will make much progress this weekend unless we repaint a bedroom that he is wanting to change to a more neutral color. It is forecast to rain all weekend............. We had hoped to start repainting the outside - but that won't be this weekend. The closer we get to Monday the more my stomach churns, so I need to stay busy this weekend!!

Kyle got offered the job at the Opthalmalgic office in Birmingham. The pay is less than he is making now, but if he takes a test to become a certified tech they will pay for the test, give him a 400 bonus, and if he passes - they will bump him up to what he is making now. So, now it is just a matter of giving them a date when he will start work and finding a place to live! They have a lead on a house that they like - from the pics anyway - and think they might try to be down there in May.

Ripley, MS

Genna, when have you NOT had a busy weekend ???? You are always doing things--LOL ! Waiting is very hard sometimes.
The rain is really getting serious, Amanda's school let out early today, don't know if they will go tomorrow or not.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Welcome Rocco!! How is the weather in OK? We're getting pounded down here!!!

They said our kids got out earlier but Peyton got home at her normal time and I sat at the road for over an hour waiting on her. Brooklyn is at Peggy's with almost pneumonia and fluid on her ears. Today was the 1st day this week that Becca was able to go to work. Jimmy got home late b/c lights were out all over the city and he normally writes 2 wrecks a week and had 5 just this afternoon.

Don't laugh but with Jim home all I have done is cook. Tonight it was meatloaf, corn, smothered potatoes, cornbread and bread pudding. I just got the kitchen cleaned back up.

BTW we still haven't closed on the park. Kristin at the title co. was out Mon. & Tue. with the flu. This has to be some kind of record for the longest closing. Did I tell Yall that the last lady to sign the release on Sat. 3/5 was admitted to the hospital on Sunday.

Genna that is good news about Kyle's job. I know they are so excited now that everything is falling into place and the next chapter of their lives will be starting. Is it Monday that Alex hears?

Jeri, saying hello and hope y'all aren't affected badly by the flooding. I know the roads around your camp have flooded in the past. Hope to hear from you.

Looks like you folks in Arkansas have been getting a good amount of rain too. It finally started this afternoon here. We needed some, and it's supposed to rain most of the weekend. Of course we had another soccer game tonight in the rain. At least it wasn't cold. Our girls won against a big rival! Down to the wire in OT and penalty kicks, just like last year. Very physical. We have one girl out with a sprained MCL, another who is barely back after having the flu, and another who got a mild concussion in Monday's game & is benched for another 3 days.

That's right, Genna, you are always busy. You are our energizer bunny! I've been praying for Alex. I know it's so hard to wait. I guess I had forgotten he had actually bought that house. Yes, it takes a while to clean out files, but it's so worth it. We either shred or burn stuff. Last time I bought a shredder I bought a reconditioned one. It was the most expensive model from Staples or Office Depot, I forget. But still had a guarantee & was cheaper because it was reconditioned. It's still going strong.
Burning is faster and easier though I think.

Ripley, MS

I am thinking and praying for all the residents of LA as they have so much flooding down there. I talked to Cindy a couple of days ago and they were ok then, but she thinks they will probably have to empty out their building.

They finally have a date for Ruth's heart surgery, it will be April 5 they arrive at hospital at 5:30 am

Me too, Sandra. I saw a post that said they raised the flood level expected and Jimbo was taking the cows to higher ground. That must be a hard job in all the rain. And I hope it doesn't get bad enough to affect their house. So sad.

Ripley, MS

Elaine, if it does get to the house it will be a record breaker. They are built on a man made hill and on poles to prevent that. The last bad flood they took their autos out to a safe place and Jimbo had to boat out for work.
There are several places in south MS flooded also.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I made it back from my camping trip about 7 today. We really had a good time. We had some rain in Oklahoma while we were there but not any really bad weather. Just a light rain off and on that didn't keep us from doing what we had planned. Sat turned out to be a really pretty day and Debra and I spent from 11 am to 4:30 pm at the Chickasaw Cultural Center. It was a beautiful center and so well done. Very interesting. I also met a lot of fun women and look forward to doing other things with them.

The flooding is terrible! I've been following all that is going on in South Arkansas and North Louisiana. Cousins have been posting lots of pictures. An alligator even turned up in a drainage ditch in one cousins sub division that is on the lake. Terrible situation! I'm so sorry Cindy is having to go through that again. I know her house is high and dry but she still gets so much flooding on her property that causes damage.

We got home just in time this afternoon. Tornado warnings started just as we reached the outskirts of Little Rock. The tornadoes moved out of the area but then it started raining really hard. Still pouring down rain with some thunder and lighting. I didn't get any but several places around got really large hail. Guess it's just what we deal with every spring!

Genna. Jessie will love San Diego! The weather is always great there! Like Elaine said there are lots of nice beaches there. La Jolla is probably the most popular for kids. She want be doing a lot of swimming at the beach (maybe the hotel). The water is always freezing cold! The boys all surf and they always wear a full wet suit summer and winter. The temperature in the water stays about the same year round. She will need a jacket or sweat shirt for the beach. I've been to all the beaches from San Diego all the way up the coast to Santa Cruz. You need sweatshirts in August. CA beaches are totally different than Florida beaches. Very rocky. Love CA beaches - they are just different. I'm sure she will have a great time.

Ripley, MS

Cindy said yesterday their road was flooded, they took the vehicles to the plant, they will have to boat out, but her house is dry, so many have lost theirs.
Heard from Genna this morning and Alex did not match. He will try to match in the scramble. I know they are disappointed but I also know God has a plan for this amazing young man too!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes the flooding is very wide spread and lots of homes and businesses have been lost. Such a tragedy!

I'm sorry Alex didn't match and I know they are all very disappointed. Hopefully he will be able to match in the scramble. I know it's very stressful for them now. However like you said Sandra there is a master plan and things will work out like they are supposed to. Our plan is not always God's plan.

I am so sorry to hear Alex did not match. There will be hope in the scramble and he is such a good man and will be such a good Doctor, we will all hope and pray he makes it then.

Oh, and in case you had not noticed, there is a banner at the top of the pages. They are releasing another 'patch' this afternoon. Don't know what this means, but there is another thread from Internet Brands. Not too much activity yet, but the other one got too long with everyone complaining.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1418925/#

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes I saw that!!!! I sure hope they have already tested the new release and are not going to just "push a button" and hope for the best!!! Yes I've been following the old IB thread and people are upset!!! A lot of people that have not had anything to say are suddenly coming forward and saying enough is enough! This whole update thing has not been professionally handled to say the least!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Spring time in the south often means flooding here in Louisiana and Ms. happens every year it seems like but that doesn't make it any less heart breaking to loose everything in such a short time. Keeps you humble for sure to know the strength and majesty of God.

I agree with you Sandra that there are great things ahead for Alex.

We close today at 1:00 on the park. Do I hear a woot woot!!! LOL

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Woot!!!!!!!! Woot!!!!!! Woot!!!!!!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I am retired.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri now you can do what you want to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL!!! I wouldn't go that far. I still have grands and are at their beck & call or so they think.

How is Alex doing after getting that disappointment this morning. It's so upsetting after working as hard and as long as he has but it wasn't God's plan for him at this time. I don't completely understand the rounds of list that are published every 2 hrs. what is this for?

Woot, woot, woot!! I'll give it all I got, Jeri. I know you are so glad that's over and done, done, done! Congratulations! You stayed with it.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

We're going to tell their tenants tomorrow but most of them know so it won't be as teary as you might think and they don't actually take over until April 1 to give them time to make their deposits and applications with the utilities. Their taxes look like they will triple and I use to choke writing out that $5000.00 property tax check each yr.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.