Shopping Early For Summer ?

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Yesterday,my 60 year old 'weeding knife' broke, so today I went to B&Q for a replacement.Mission accomplished, I decided to wander through their Garden Centre for a laugh.I always do this, because the price of their plants always make me feel smug.You see, I garden on a tight budget.....grow from seed(mostly received from trades, and from The Hardy Plant Society,Cottage Garden Society), take cuttings, and swap with friends.I have some little plants now from Autumn sowings, and equivalent sized plants are being sold for £1.50 or £2.00......and they're selling bedding out plants ! There's a huge new display of barbecues, gazebos,and garden furniture too !
We've had a couple of warm days here in Birmingham, but I'm not going to buy the charcoal yet!

Marigold.

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

Dont forget Marigold when you start the barbi we are all coming for a feed. Yes the prices are ridiculous, i do go around them all,homebase-do it all and if they have got cheap plants well i have got loads of bargains such as David Austin roses for a pound-i got a load of the flower carpets same price but got 2 for 50p each, the new ones called sunshine that they were selling for 7.99, they know me i am part of the furniture,got loads of house plants last year for 10p each brought them home fed them and gave them to friends and relatives-still got some left in the bathroom.

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Yes Sheila, I go round them all too, loking for 'bargains' and I have found some great ones in Safeways.....I know this is sad, but what I do is make a note of the 'sell by date', and go in early the morning after and grab perennials and climbers . (usually less than half price) I don't know any other large store that has a 'sell by date' on plants.In Birmingham, Woolworths is the worst store for not looking after the plants.When they mark them down, they are well and truly DEAD!!
Marigold.

Hello Marigold, i got a half dozen white margarites from Sainsburys last year, ruduced from 1.49 to 30p, just because the sell by date on the ticket had gone by, they were just about to flower, thats the kind of bargain i like.

Alan.

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

I think we need a section to tell us where the bargains are,cos lets face it all the supermarkets sell the same stuff-so if you go into do-it-all and they are selling things cheap come and tell us on the forum.B and q were having a sale last week-things mark down to a pound from 9.99 so i got a few things i mean who pays 9.99,but a lot of people do so when there are only a few left they have made hell of a profit they can sell them off cheaply. They were shutting a b and q down in St Helens last month as they were opening a new warehouse, so i got some belting terracotta pots,priced at 75p(they were 3.99 originally) when i got to the counter they said 50p each so i went back for the lot.

This message was edited Friday, Mar 9th 6:49 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.