winter twigs

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I know I have asked abt this one before, but it is simply mind stopping to me and I can't remember the id, chuckl. Snowshoe, Pa the eastern continental divide in a rest area protection.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

That sure looks like a graft line in #3.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Ulmus glabra 'Camperdownii'? Whatever it is, I like it.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Here I thot 'Camper down' was a rest area joke, chuckl. It looks like it- I will have to watch it when it leafs out.
Mipii- I just can't figure out how the whole tree but 1 branch is grafted, but it looks like those other branches, so I really doubt it is. The smaller tree I have no pics for was doing the same knobby knot at the top of a smooth trunk too. I have to admit I believe Ulmus Glabra Camperdownii is the tree.

Thumbnail by kittriana

Whatever it is, it's amazing...totally different. That was a nice find Kitt!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

It's top grafted. The original tree was found growing at Camperdown House near Dundee, Scotland in the mid 1800's. I don't know if the original tree is still standing, but if it is I may have to venture up from Edinburgh this summer to take a look. There are a few nice specimens from the early 1900's in SE Wisconsin.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I saw the info on it being Scotch, or Wych elm. A tree of celtic knots. Wish I were going with you- Scotlands' the only thing on a bucket list for me- being 80% Scots is why I guess. I am being stymied by the graft thing- everyone just yells 'graft' and cops out, chuckl.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Are you doubtful it's a graft? Maybe this is the result of wire being tied around it and forgotten? It sure looks like a graft, but it now feels a bit more mysterious.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Ulmus glabra 'Camperdownii' is pretty much always reproduced as grafted plant, and most times a top graft (high on the stem of a different species of Elm used as understock) since Camperdown Elm is a spreading/pendulous clone.

Kitt, the branch in #1 is a reversion. Branching because of the rootstock can show up through it's growth cycle. Those branches are supposed to be pruned if/when they show up.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

When it leafs I will be taking pics again. Not a doubt in the world it was grafted- and the reversion makes good sense. Just wondering what elms were used here in USA- haven't had time to check for American vrrsions of Wyche Elms- as I heard a good Scots gal say any straight trunk base can be used. Apparently Camperdownii refers to location and grafting technique and a specific elm found in Scotland. That was tripping me up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.