Spell Czech...writ large

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I am one of those people (and the rest of you know who you are) that often immediately notices misspellings. I suppose I'm incapable of overlooking them, mostly because it reminds me of school days when report cards memorialized forever in grades for success or failure at this enterprise.

So - now I can capture that which I find out in the world. I am only amazed at the permanence of some of these. To wit:

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I feel your pain VV, it bugs me too (unless it's mine of course).

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Me too!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

It usually makes me stop and study it like I would an offending imposter. However, I am also one of those ppl whom only need a few letters to be able to see a whole sentence. I have to slow me down some days.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

At a botanical garden it seems inexcusable, but I am sure they are always short-staphed staved staffed. (heehee)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I dunno, looks like they had more letters than plate on the one

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

If it's embossed on fancy metal ID tag, it's legit.

There are plenty of letters - just the wrong ones.

I'm trying to find the image of the one on the White House grounds. I think it must be from when I was still taking slides.

They did a number on a Euonymus...made it a rodent.

I think that one was supposed to be Anonymous rodentia.

Those were all deciduous woodies. Here's a couple Connie furs that Resin may pop a cone over...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

That's quite the plant liszt!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Pedantically speaking, the higher the knowledge base, the lower the tolerance for errors. When it comes to botany, spelling mistakes do not ruffle my feathers. ;)

I'm assuming your knowledge base is at least elevated to where you can spot the spelling errors. My base level knowledge base is at the mercy of the correct written word. Botanical phonetics are a challenge at best, imagine the egg on my face when pronouncing misspellings?

On the other hand, using the 'silver lining' theory; I could look absolutely brilliant from those not in the know...

I'll see Pseudo's pedantics, and stoop to his featherly level...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, VV, that construction sign makes really good cents to me- but it's an industry related job hazard for those like me to fit in a compact car space.
Spell checker is such a simple child, and irritates me beyond reason. Being around folks that are dedicated to self termination, I find tolerance an enforced state of mind- and use it as a 'fill in the blanks' challenge.

Surely that's got to ruffle just a couple of tail feathers...lol.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Most everyone. Mine more often than knot. Chuckl. The sense are good cents where I wander.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

looks like spelling error photos are quite a hobby of yours, VV. Are punctuation errors left by the wayside? Or do they get to play too?

I collect the ones that seem purposefully created and with significant effort - not a dashed off email or text, or slip of the mind. Use of templates; headlines in the press; the occasional continuous message sign along the highway - and especially with today's computer Spell Czech helping - most of these don't seem to be defensible.

Hmmm...punctuation....at least good clear legible handwriting is admirable.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Here's an example of "digital" media gone awry!

Perhaps Inigo Montoya is on the trail to this exclusive Members Only club...

Wow, I have a cat with 6 toes that could get in.

Must be separated at birth from our big orange boy, Smilax hispida...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Now there's a big boy that didn't lose his mittens!

This is Buddy, I was trying to capture a quiet bonding moment with his sister on the right, she has only five toes but more orange.

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii

Mrs. V busted a gut at the "two paws on the window" image. That's priceless.

You've got to be quick on the button for those pics. I miss so many, they seem to like making me work for it.

Here's Lily, she's helping me clean and sort seeds...

Thumbnail by Mipii
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wow, Lily is gorgeous

Thanks, we had no idea how nice they'd turn out to be. A little over a year ago they were both scrawny, matted rescues.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i would not survive without spell check and even then things slip past. capitalizing letters in quick messages such as this can lead to even more errors so i avoid those as well. i was banished from the hosta forum for not capitalizing.

well no banishing here, that would be very silly. i suppose the "Banishers" felt very serious about their hosta chats. the silliness here is all the joking around and wordplay.

Lol, welcome to the "Better Botanical Business Bureau"
Botanical spelling 101
http://www.botanicalaccuracy.com/2013/03/how-to-write-latin-names-correctly.html

This message was edited Mar 1, 2016 3:29 PM

Well, at least we got off of the cat detour...

That's what YOU thought.

Thumbnail by momlady

You hosta admit; cats are entertaining.

Yes, they are momlady - especially those two hams.

VV, I understand your reference. I must share with others since it's absolutely one of my favorite cartoons of all time.
Now I can quit hijacking and rest easy.

Thumbnail by momlady

Y'all crack me up.

Lol, thanks for the hijack!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Searching for VV some of the more than a few miss labels in my industry, but have help for the shorter signs now

Thumbnail by kittriana

Awwwwww!

OK - this one went beyond the pale.

Just 'cause the metal label is too short...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.