Getting Rid of Trees! :O

(Zone 5a)

Silly me, I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum but it fits better here, so I'll still put a copy here.

I was perusing Prairie Moon, getting the urge to plant again, when I ran across this. That cover made me laugh!

http://www.prairiemoon.com/books/aspen-control-on-prairie-remnants-gary-eldred.html

We just cut down weed trees as we find them, but maybe this book will have some suggestions for that crazy mulberry.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Weird. Here in Colorado where Aspen are native, people struggle to keep them alive. Of course, they aren't growing them at their native elevation in their native soil. I have always said there are only two problems with Aspen - when they die and when they don't. People see the beautiful groves in the mountains and want a tree or two in their yard. They do not realize that large grove is ONE tree.

(Zone 5a)

That is interesting, pollengarden. I just got the book the other day and its gist is to girdle the main tree and all the little saplings. It has to be done a certain time of year. The behaviour of Aspen does sound like mulberry. If the main tree is damaged, it sends off all those little shoots.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

In the mountains here, where they are native, if they move into irrigated pasture or meadow - then they over-irrigate and drown them out. In yards at lower elevations, most folks lose them to heat & drought. They like that illusive "moist well-drained soil", and don't like to be too wet or too dry. Mulberries are considered a trash tree here, too, but do not sucker nearly as far and wide as a healthy Aspen. I grew up eating Mulberries and have a soft spot in my heart for them - and birds love the berries, too. I do not have one in my yard but I found a dwarf variety I want to try. A named variety doesn't sucker as bad as the wild species, and has better berries.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.