Tropical tree ID

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Here's an amazing old tree with an interesting history. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what it might be?

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

C'mon, there's a fabulous prize waiting for anyone who names this tree, whicht has a cousin that has become a bit of a nuisance in the warmer parts of the US. Now I'm being too obvious.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm torn between being mad that I know nothing about tropical/semitropical trees to even approach answering the question, and being sad/hopeful that the Zika virus is not in your future.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Hmm, are there Chocolates involved? Albizia julibrissin?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Albizia saman (syn. Samanea saman)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Mipii, you're beginning to scare me.
It was surprising enough to discover you're a Toonologist, but now an Albiziologist also? - what other talents do you possess? It's inspiring ...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Yes, good answers both. Growin got this one, but Chocolate Fountain for Mipii.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo

I don't know Wee, these talents come up out of the blue and just kick me in the pants. I never know when I'm going to get a new talent. Aw yes second place with a Chocolate Fountain is a heck of a good prize, that'll keep me busy for a while.

You're the man Growin,I realized my mistake as soon as I hit enter, I named the bad cousin tree.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Albizia julibrissin isn't a "bad cousin tree" in my neck of the woods. Slow grower, doesn't seed much, etc.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

On the other hand, I'm never surprised when Growin gets it right ...

Quote from growin :
Albizia julibrissin isn't a "bad cousin tree" in my neck of the woods. Slow grower, doesn't seed much, etc.

That's interesting given your zone...it's a beautiful looking tree with other fine attributes, perhaps in my zone too. I've heard it was a 'messy' tree.

Quote from Weerobin :
On the other hand, I'm never surprised when Growin gets it right ...

That's because Growin getting it right is expected.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Mipii - we have cool summers and Albizia julibrissin does not like that. There are a few "continental climate" plants that do poorly here because of the mild, cool climate here.
Weerobin, I count on everyone else questioning my ID's as that makes for a good ID. I just guess often which doesn't make it right.
I remember Albizia saman well from driving around Mexico a few years ago. If you take a look at this google street view: https://www.google.ca/maps/@20.7785,-105.3838712,3a,75y,105.91h,80.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-LdhSZiTEtD1fteXRJspig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en
you can see these planted on the sides of the road and their majestic branching pattern covers the highway (Mexico 200) between Sayulita, Nayarit and Puerta Vallarta Walmart. I just loved driving down this part of the highway in awe at these huge trees. Reminds me of what they call an allee.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

This is one of the most impressive trees I've ever seen. The canopy spread is at least 180'. Too bad I didn't see it in flower. Here's a little bit more history on the place, some of it not so inspiring.

Thumbnail by Pseudo

So, Sam Jefferson was a squatter? Imagine the Hurricanes a 100 year old tree survived?

Thanks for the expounded information guys. Your specimen is truly impressive Pseudo. Growin, I love tree lined streets with canopies!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I knew I wasn't in Wisconsin anymore when I ran across this thing. It's tree-like, but the foliage looks more like a succulent. Any idea what this might be?

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo

Is it Selenicereus Megalanthus?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I can't say no, but that doesn't quite look right. No one on the grounds could name it.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Euphorbia lactea? Definitely an Euphorbia.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.