Clematissessess ?

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Which clematis choices have succeeded for you personally ?

I am particularly interested in the big-flowered, birght colored ones, but will they do well in our climate ?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

The only one I grow is the native Purple Leather Flower, Clematis pitcherii
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CLPI
It is very pretty but not showy.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Clematis viticella Polish Spirit has done great in W. Houston for me. Grows on a trellis. Fabulous spring flood of flowers, then flowers off & on. It's probably too hot here for it to look good all year. I cut it back to about a foot when I can't stand to keep looking at the crispy leaves, & it grows right back. It's a deep purple. Here's a pic or 2.

Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio
Fort Worth, TX

mine haven't done so well but I got a pink, a blue and I think a purple from Burgess and haven't taken great care of them either.

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

I hve been wanting a clematis texensis "Princess Diana" for a ong time. It is a Texas native which I hope will do well here.

And my namesake, Rebecca, a bright
candy-apple red.

What I am not clear on is when they say the roots should be in shade, does that mean covered up with soil, or exposed , or the base of the plants with some kind of shade barrier ?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I think they mean the base of the plant should get some shade maybe from other plants or a structure.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I had the burgundy one it did fine but the horses kept eating it and it died. I also have the autumn one, its huge. My mind is drawing a blank.

Yes, plant the plant in the shade but it needs to climb where it is sunny.

Central , AR(Zone 7b)

I have clematis pitcherii, nelly moser and Comtesse De Bouchard. They all receive morning sun and afternoon shade. They also get some supplemental water because they are in beds with other plants that need it. I shade the roots with 3-4 inches of mulch and they are behind other plants. The Comtesse is behind a yellow rose and they bloom at the same time.... it is gorgeous!

Dallas, TX

Somewhere, I think in a blog on North Haven Gardens or maybe elsewhere, that it's a myth about the roots (what you said). Maybe I can find where I read that and let you know. It might have been in Fine Gardening which occasionally lets me read it online.

I'd like to try some clematis this year. I like the plural as you put it, Baja.

Dallas, TX

Question about vines in general: Can they do damage to fences? My fence is already in horrible shape and I don't need to give it a final push.

Dallas, TX

Baja - This is one of the articles I read about clematis. Don't know if it will help you but it has some pretty pictures. :D

It does mention the Texas natives but says that they are hard to find. (For them or for anyone?)

I'll look for the other article I recently read about clematis and their 'feet'.

http://www.nhg.com/plant-now/consider-clematis-for-a-focal-point-feature-plant/

This message was edited Apr 4, 2016 11:34 PM

Fort Worth, TX

clematis will not damage your fence, in my experience. Passion flower vine requires a strong support, as does moonflower and morning glory.
Orange trumpet vine destroys fences. In my experience.

Dallas, TX

Gypsi - what about coral vine? Do you know if it can destroy fences?

Fort Worth, TX

not a clue Flower Child. For right now it is stuck in a pot waiting on a position. I do know that my passion vine is about smothering my Texas sage but it has to wait til I get a minute to do a rescue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.