echinacea agustifolia

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

want to propagate by seed , any hints on sowing or stratification ? :)

Florissant, MO

Hi Jim,
I assume you're going to start your seeds indoors, under lights, and transplant to the garden later? Keep in mind that E. angustifolia usually has a lower germination rate and grows slower than other species of Asteraceae, such as E. purpurea. They also prefer a longer cold, stratification period (maybe 8 or 10 weeks).

Hope this helps,
Art

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

thank you -- will see what happens -- this is the more medicinal one :)

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

The most important thing about growing from seed is whether they need light or darkness to germinate. I never knew there was a difference. Coneflowers need to be covered with soil.I grow them in my garden in front of my house and always grow from seed when I need to add more. Enjoy the goldfinch that love to peck the seeds from the cone. If you plan to save any seed heads make sure to cover the ones you decide you want as the finches will eat every last one.You can cover the cone with a piece of nylon stocking after the petals fall. I live in zone 6 and if planted early they will bloom the first year. I start them outdoors in spring.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

Thank you Windy

Fort Worth, TX

I start mine outdoors in august for next year bloom, watering often. I'm in North Texas

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

Thank you I will try fall sowing as I am now in zone 5b

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.