Status of Site Fixes as of February 3

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

A release later today will address two bugs:

1. Nested quotes in forum threads; and
2. Navigating through our previous posts on our member pages (it will allow you to go directly to your posts, not just the thread and the problem with navigating to pages of past threads will be fixed.

We have several more fixes that are being prioritized for the next release, including
1. making "preview" optional on your posts
2. adding page tabs at the top of threads with multiple pages
3. fixing the false "photo upload failed" message appearing on larger images.

There are several other issues and requests in their list, but those are what we've ranked highest priority for the next release.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Quote from Terry :

3. fixing the false "photo upload failed" message appearing on larger images.

Hah! I thought I saw that! But, it disappeared just as quickly, so I wrote it off to my wild imagination.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, thank you Terry! I am watching and waiting. The things I hated on the first day aren't bothering me as much now.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't see the # of views anywhere. Where should I be looking?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I gather it's been removed while work is in progress. Haven't you noticed whole windows are coming and going such as the thread watcher? That's been up and down several times. I assume they are being taken down and resurrected as they implement fixes.

Yes, but I haven't seen # of views anywhere since this whole thing started. I've seen others post that they miss it bc they feel like they are talking to themselves.

I thought it was gone for good. When you do see it where is it?

It should be on your thread watcher next to replies. Terry said they will be working on it and it suddenly disappeared. I assume they are burning the midnight oil as we exchange posts.

Oh, and also should be on the Latest Post window. You might see it there but the count reads either zero or is incorrect. Hopefully repairs are forthcoming and Terry can be blowing out candles instead of extinguishing fires.

Thanks, I haven't seen it in a couple months what's a little while longer? Lol I wonder if it's bc I usually use my iPad? I'll keep an eye out for it...

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have to say, I really like the "push-pin" icon for "stickies" on forums. It makes it so much easier to scroll past them to the most current thread, especially on forums with quite a few stickies.

I kept forgetting to mention it, so Thank you to whoever had that idea!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We aren't forewarned when someone cross posts, as far as I can tell. I've missed some posts because of that.

somewhere, PA

M5 you beat me too it! Yes - I thought it was the skip to new function that was flawed but its the notification of a cross posting that keeps frustrating me!

Will that be fixed?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I still have to click a second page to go to the thread after clicking on my post in my info
I hope you get rid of the preview for posting to a thread.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Quote from weeding :
...I hope you get rid of the preview for posting to a thread.
I depend on the Preview Post button or the Update Preview button in my posting. I would be seriously inconvenienced if the Preview process were eliminated.

I have suggested in a previous message that Dave's Garden add a Post Reply button alongside the current Preview Post button.

That should allow you and others to bypass the Preview phase by simply clicking that Post Reply button.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Zen_Man ~ I am in total agreement with you. I don't think I've ever posted without first previewing what I've written. I can't tell you how many times I've discovered typos, repeat sentences or things that just don't make sense.

It's also a great way to make sure what I've written won't be taken the wrong way by someone else.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I preview mine by looking at what I just typed. I don't need a preview button in order to do that.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I agree, I can read what I've written, if I post it and there are egregious errors, I can edit and fix them.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I totally agree with Sheila and KyWoods.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Nearly every site I've ever been on has a preview button for posts and messages. Probably the best solution is to have both a "preview" and "post" button (like we used to).

While I understand that not everyone wants to be forced to preview, those of us that like to preview should have the ability to do so.

Kind of a Win, Win...don't you think?

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I agree, why not have the option to preview or just to post?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I find the preview helpful. If I preview a few times I do not lose a long entry.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm pretty sure the fix Terry was talking about would not *eliminate* the preview button, just make it optional... probably by going back to having both a "preview" and a "post" button.

copied from her priority list for the next set of fixes:
"1. making "preview" optional on your posts"

For me, it wasn't a big deal, since so many other sites are set up the same way (have to preview before posting)... but I'll like having it optional again, especially for short posts that I have no desire to double-check.

I should have been clearer, but yes - there will be the option to preview, but it won't be mandatory. So those who want/need to preview their post can do that, and those who "shoot from the hip" (like me) can scan the text as we type and post it without previewing. And you always have the ability to edit your text afterwards.

Someone asked about the cross-post alert, and yes, that is on the list of fixes coming up in the list of to-do's.

....and the Preview and Post buttons are now both available when you type your post :-).

Thanks Terry - it works great!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank You!

Yay! I think we're all relieved that we're not forced to preview each post.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Terry, I forget the terminology for this, but every time I log in to the site I see all the threads where something new has been posted, but they're not changing. I see the same three threads.

Quote from carrielamont :
Terry, I forget the terminology for this, but every time I log in to the site I see all the threads where something new has been posted, but they're not changing. I see the same three threads.

On your home page?

somewhere, PA

Woo hoo for not having to preview and then post!!!

What is the thinking on getting notification if you cross post with someone else? That was so helpful. Is it on the list? :-)

Quote from Tammy :
Woo hoo for not having to preview and then post!!!

What is the thinking on getting notification if you cross post with someone else? That was so helpful. Is it on the list? :-)

It is on the list. Next is getting page tabs at the top of each thread, instead of just at the bottom.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Terry. I had very few problems with the new site but think fixes that were requested are moving along nicely. Personally I like and use the Preview option but appreciate that others now don't have to cope with it if that's their choice.

Where is the view count on the list of fixes? Might remediation of faulty information be considered in advance of convenience factors? Blogs are based on views, not posts. The expectation of dedicated posters to provide ongoing posts and photos without feedback is discouraging.

Laurel, that's a fair question. It is not next on the list of issues the techs are working on, but I can prioritize it for the wave after the next one.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, posts and views counts are important, it lets us know if people care about the subjects we talk about.

Thanks. In addition to posters knowing if what we say is of interest, an actively viewed thread is inducement for others to peek and participate.

(Zone 5a)

I am not able to post when I click the Post Reply button, it continually bounces me back to the preview screen.

Also, I depend on having the link to the thread I am posting on, to refer back to and this is missing with in the preview screen. (Usually, right clicking to open in a new tab.) Maybe it was never available here ???, but I do not know how often I preview or quote and need to read the previous replies over again. Does this make sense? I can try rewording this, if you need clarification.

(Zone 5a)

I honestly did not think the above reply would go through, but it did. I was giving this one last try before using the Contact forum. The post I was trying to reply to was
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1412867/

I have read this thread but it won't leave my watched thread list. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1408732/ unless I click on unwatch thread. This is only happening on this thread ATM.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Isn't that the way it is supposed to work?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.