Fell for QVC again.....

Ashuelot, NH

It's a cold January here in New Hampshire and QVC got me again! They started airing Roberta's and Cottage Farms shows again. I bought a 3 piece Butterfly Bush set from Cottage Farms. I also bought some "Rose lilies" , Red Hot Pokers, and some German Poppies. I am thinking the lilies (pokers and rose) will be strong enough to arrive alive. Not sure about the poppies, though. So, I'm taking a chance there.

Last year, I bought some Hens & Chicks from Roberta's through QVC. They arrived fine and are still doing well even in our winter. But, I ordered some Lupines from them which arrived pretty much dead. I called and got some replacements which were also dead. So, I called back again and they were out of the Lupines. They instead said they could send me some Oriental Lilies. I agreed. They arrived fine and even started growing before the frigid temps hit (we had a really warm October - December!) So, I'm expecting them to make a return this Spring. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I never ordered anything from Cottage Farms and am well aware of all the negative experiences in "The Scoop" section of this site. I'm hoping the Butterfly Bushes arrive in good condition. If not, they will definitely be hearing from me!

So, yeah, my weakness and my extreme "jones-ing" for Spring got the better of me!

I also ordered $150 worth of flowers from GH Wild - who have been reliable for me in the past - a week ago.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Where were you when I was selling perennials ?

Ashuelot, NH

Not meaning to sound like I'm from Minnesota. But, aww jeez!!!! I just got through spending $400 on Perennials and Annuals for this year!

I still have some cash left. So, whatcha got? Or what will ya have?

I'm looking for some good hardy stuff. I've been thinking of trying Delphiniums, more kinds of Agastache instead of the one kind I have (orange and blue flowers on the same plant), and other hardy perennials that will deal well with my area's crazy ever-changing weather!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Minnesota came up with the good old "You need a license" to raise & sell perennials. So now we are stuck with Wal Mart. Figured they ran the law through to kill competition.
We haven't done any for a good number of years.

Ashuelot, NH

Wow. That's pretty ridiculous! On the plus side, though, I had good luck with the Dahlia tubers I got from Walmart. I used this "Rootblast" stuff I got from QVC on the tubers and they were over 12 inches long when I dug them in the Fall!! I have them stored and will re-plant them in the spring and see if I get the yield I got last year. From what I was told, the yield this year will be huge because those tubers got so huge. So, I'm hoping that's the case.

I don't really buy from Walmart. But, I will probably trust them for my Dahlia tubers since I can inspect them before I buy.

I also buy from the local nursery here because the people there are decent and really treat their customers well. I've even swapped with them a couple times!

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, though. I would have definitely bought some Delphiniums from you because you seem to have good luck with them according to the picture you posted.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

The last time I fell at QVC was years ago when I dropped $500 on a real nice Star Trek crew plaque signed by all of the original cast. So glad I bought it now. They had Deforrest Kelly on saying that they had to ship the photos around the country to get all the autographes.

Ashuelot, NH

I have the Star Trek Technical Manual released in 1986 (re-print) which I had signed by Jimmy Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, and George Takei when I met each of them.

I never met "the big three" before. Now, only Bill Shatner is left.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Quote from axess2016 :
I have the Star Trek Technical Manual released in 1986 (re-print) which I had signed by Jimmy Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, and George Takei when I met each of them.

I never met "the big three" before. Now, only Bill Shatner is left.

Cool! George was just on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.