The sound of trees

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

It's a bit breezy here tonight, and when I went outside to get a lungful of the crisp & clean Wisconsin air I heard two sounds: the dried oak leaves clattering and the wisp of Pinus strobus. The first is kind of anoying, but the second is delightful. I can't think of a better tree to be near when the breeze is blowing through its canopy.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I will not disagree with a winter condition, though the fragrance of a spruce forest is darn hard to beat. Add Bavaria and/or the Black Forest and/or some Alps, and exuberance is enhanced.

I will say that seasonality should play into this. A breeze blowing through a Yellowwood in full bloom is unmatched, for Ohio River valley region conditions in May. An evening walk along Lago di Como in the fall brought a breeze wafting through Osmanthus trees. Instantly intoxicating.

This subject begs more memories...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I love the sound of a brisk wind running through the branches of our blue spruce in the back yard. It's such a dense tree that the wind sounds really cool going around/through it.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

There's an interesting article on trees in the 'world' section of today's New York Times, if anyone is interested. About a German forester who wrote a surprising best seller (non-fiction) about the secret life of trees in the forest. Of course you can't read the book yet (at least I can't) since doesn't come out in English til later this year. If I knew how to post the link, I'd do it, but you can just look it up online if you're interested.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Greetings from beautiful Puerto Rico. I'm hoping my Yellowwood puts on a growth spurt so I can experience a breeze blowing through it in my lifetime.

I did see that article in the NY Times, but I'm not a subscriber and have exceeded my monthly allotment of free digital articles. :(

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Secret life of trees in the forest??!?!?! That sounds like an AWESOME book!!!!! What is the title of the book?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's the link to the NY times article.
Hope it works...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/world/europe/german-forest-ranger-finds-that-trees-have-social-networks-too.html?_r=0

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

What a great article. That book sounds quite interesting and might be nice to read. Of course all my family and friends would roll their eyes at me for even thinking of reading it....Lol

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sound of a thunderstorm- winds topping tall yellow pines as it moves in, the pull of the quiet air underneath waiting hushed as the pines sway and slough in the roughening currents.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Me gods, woman - thou art the Bard!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry, I try to keep it simple... but those pines with that roar in the tops and the waiting stillness underneath I just get tremors of excitement going, chuckl

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Here is a nice little thunderstorm! No pine trees tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29qaN0M0o0s

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank God for body parts!
Lol.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't think they've ever heard South Texas thunder that rolls from one strike for up to 3minutes... well done for body parts, makes mine ache at that speed

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

3 minute thunder rolls...impressive. Even the thunder is big in Texas.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

You think a twister is coming, can Youtube Texas Hillcountry hail and thunder, but those aren't the long ones. I cant link youtubes to here anymore

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.