John and Liza are in Florida, Looking to find friends on Gardening In Florida forum

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

OK folks lets get going, Dave's Garden seems to be dead. Respond to my post and see if we can get some activity going. Looking for Northeast Gardening Forum members who are now in Florida of following the forum. I realize that the format has changed but the only way to get it working again is the keep trying and drive the Admin crazy.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm a midwest transplant to central FLA.
and yes, this forum has been a bit slow too -- I think this latest "upgrade" has really thrown everyone for a loop.

Terese

Belleview, FL

Hi, I am also in Central Fl. New here, and hoping to make some new friends. I was not a Northeast Gardening Forum member, so please tell me if I am in the wrong forum! Cheryl

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

CHeryl,

nope, you are in the right forum.

where did you transplant from?

I'm originally from the chicago suburbs - but have a summer place in WI, north of Madison. This is my 2nd winter down here.

Belleview, FL

From NW Montana, Kalispell- Thompson River area.
What a huge adjustment!

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

I was originally on Northeast forum. They seem to be dead. We Liza and are in Florida for a few months. Looking to find some friends in Florida. Are any of you in the Okeechobee area? Not that's a bad thing but that's where we are. Not much activity here except cattle ranching.. Not that that's a bad thing it is not gardening. I am a advanced NH Master Gardener and have been gardening for 76 years or so. Planning on putting some raised beds so that neighbors can benefit from them after we
go back to New Hampshire. Would like to see this forum get very active. May have to beat on admin the get it to do so.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2016 9:53 PM

This message was edited Jan 23, 2016 9:54 PM

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

I just got back from the ft. Myers area. Yes, I know I went the wrong direction. Wanna be snowbird but not retired. I am set up to come and go as needed for warm and sunshine.

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Photos of visitors in our yard. Okeechobee, FL.

Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW
NE, SD(Zone 4b)

They seem to be very comfortable!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Some seem so comfortable around humans.

Great photos.

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Heavy Rain here all day today in Okeechobee, FL.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yea... I saw the radar this morning... we have a friend camping/fishing down there. So far we have close to 3" in the rain gauge.

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Link to my blog. new blog new post

http://www.jwlw.net/2016/01/29/we-are-in-okeechobee-florida/

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Little Blue Heron sitting on the dock in out back yard. Okeechobee.\, Fl. 02/01/2016

Thumbnail by JWLW
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

is your home on Lake Okeechobee ?

I've been in the area, but never to the Lake. DH has fished there before.

Terese

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

No home is not on the Big Lake. We are on one of the smaller ones next to the Big Lake. Sunrise yesterday morning looking across our lake.

Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

very nice.

Belleview, FL

Those are beautiful sunrise's!
Do you swim in the lake?

This message was edited Feb 9, 2016 4:46 PM

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

No swimming in that lake. Too many Alligators.

Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

wow, great shots. We have had up to 5 in our small pond. I think the largest ones, we have 2 this winter, are around 9-10 feet long. There is one medium sized, we are guessing 6-7' and 2 smaller ones -- I call them the babies, though they are 3-4'.
They all live in harmony.

~ I'll be MIA a week or so... heading out on a cruise tomorrow. Enjoy the warming weather... hope it holds out.

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Little Blue Heron our guest the other day.

Thumbnail by JWLW
Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

We where wondering if we would see any Alligators this year while in Florida. One has finally showed up. Hope we will see more before we leave for NH.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2016 12:51 PM

Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW Thumbnail by JWLW
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

nice.

Ours tend to get more active in the spring.
Since I am not here in the summer months, I do not know what their activity levels are -- probably more-so then they are now.

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Giant Sun Flower in our NH Garden a few years ago.

Thumbnail by JWLW
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice. I always attempted to grow them but the squirrels and or bunnies ate the seedlings every year. I'd get the occasional volunteer from the black oil seeds i'd put out, but that;s about it.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice sunflower, I have some seeds and going to try some this year. Since our summer thunderstorms can have some strong winds, I've been told to plant against a fence or house.
I had a volunteer sunflower once, but something did eat it.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

John and Liza, http://davesgarden.com/members/sugarweed/ Sugarweed lives on the lake at the north end Taylor Creek. Went to a round up at her park last May. She was previously in Jacksonville. Have known her for many years now through Dave's Garden.

Sunflowers.....I have 3 large birds and their discards from the cage bottoms end up thrown over the deck rail. I have had a sunflower grow (not many as the birds love those seeds and eat them) oats, and other things grow. I even got a squash last summer from their seeds. Didn't even know squash was in the bird food.

I am in north central florida came from Ft. Lauderdale over ten years ago. 2 different gardening areas. So many new things to learn when I came here. I have 2 very close friends from NH and share gardening experience and plants with them whenever I can.

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Just posted to my Blog. http://www.jwlwgardens.com/photos-from-the-past-1/
Have a great evening.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2016 5:54 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.