Amaryllis planted outside

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

Do I have to do anything to get amaryllis planted outside in south Florida to bloom again? I have them in a planter box that does get regular water from a sprinkler system, so will they bloom again if they don't have a dry period? No dry period this winter, much wetter than usual. Wondering if I should dig them up and put in garage for a couple months to rest

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I have amaryllis in the ground and it blooms every spring. I've never worried about weather, last year was quite a wet winter and they all bloomed just fine,in fact I didn't even know they needed dry weather.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm also central FL and while I don't have any most of my neighbors do... they seem to flourish.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Cindyeo, since your amaryllis are in a planter box, it wouldn't seem wet spells wouldn't affect them. You have the drainage to keep them from getting water logged. I certainly wouldn't even venture into digging them up at all. In doing so, it would retard their natural process of blooming at the appropriate time, which at my place is early April.

Every 4 years my power company sends tree trimmers out to clear the power lines. 2 years ago, they did this. I stopped the contractor and invited him to dump the mulched cuttings at my place. He dropped 3 truckloads on my property. The first one he dumped on my amaryllis bed. (dumb idiot) My granddaughter helped me clear the bed of the pile. Needless to say, none on the amaryllis bloomed that year. The next year, they recovered. You see, they don't like being buried too deep.

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

I live in the Florida Keys and I have a friends who has a huge one in her yard that she planted from a potted one she got at Christmas. Hers is in dappled sun zone 11.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have grown them for years outside. Some are from bulbs that where planted 50+ years ago.
You just need remember to plant them with about 1/2 inch above ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.