Seedlings outgrown my peat pellets?

Watertown, NY

First time gardener here. I planted my onions from seed 14 days ago, using the Jiffy greenhouse system. I used a heat pad for germination and my onions seemed to really take off! Some stems are 3 inches long with the seed still attached. Any ways I've stopped using the heating pad and moved them to a south facing window. I realized 80% of my seedlings "roots" have already outgrown the pellet and are exposed. Is this normal? Do I continue with this system? Will this harm my onions? It's too soon to transplant into bigger pots right? If I do continue growing them in the pellets, bottom watering is advised? Thank you in advance for any tips and answers.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2016 10:17 AM

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

It's never too early to transplant seedlings into larger pots as long as you keep the roots intact. With the pellets you are going to plant the whole pellet. (I personally take the fabric covering off the peat pellets before I plant them. They supposedly decompose over time, but I think they hinder root growth and I've found the fabric underground while digging in my garden from years before). The roots coming out the bottom and sides of the pellets is normal, but you don't want to leave them in the pellets too long. The pellets are for starting the seeds not so much growing the seedlings for a period of time. If you leave them in the pellets too long the roots will start growing into the other pellets and separating them later will damage roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.