Second year with Gladiolus- SUBERB outcome

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

I apologize for the picture spam I might do on this thread but who doesn't like pictures? lol! My first year in glads was in 2014. I saw these wonderus looking flowers at Walmart and said why not. Bought the bag of 30, planted it and loved the small flowering stems I got. However this year, I went all out. Ordered over 100 new corms from my trusted source and voila, I got the show I wanted. The hummingbird flocked and made it a nice place to sit and relax.

Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad
Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

Some more- If you'd like to see some more up close shots let me know. Ill try and find some. These glads that I'm posting about were from July-August of 2015, cant wait for this summer!!!

This message was edited Jan 19, 2016 8:23 PM

Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Those are stunning, MrGlad. Yes, more photos, please.

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

Okay here are some more!

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

Some more- PS let me know if the pictures don't show up correctly, having some issues

San Diego, CA

Fabulous, especially the one with pansy-looking markings! Hope to see more pictures from your garden in the future.

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

Would you guys like to see some of my Lilies and Iris flowers?

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

Here are my other prizes- they border the gladiolus bed

Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad Thumbnail by MrGlad
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

What beautiful flowers....please, keep them coming.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous. Yes, we do like to look at photos of flowers here. :)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Your flowers are beautiful. Where do you get your glads? I haven't been able to find a good source in the last few years. The corms I've gotten are either moldy or have thrips. I grew glads for many years when I lived in Ohio and had well over a 100 of them. I couldn't bring them when I moved to Washington state and now I am having trouble finding a good supplier. I would really like to grow them again.

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

I have great luck with Jungs seed company and Dutch gardens. The corms I get from them are on the average to large side. Cheap too, collection of 60 corms was like 30-40 bucks I think. I hope this helps. And growing glads is just so rewarding, perfect cut flowers and the hummingbirds love em.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2016 5:38 AM

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you for that information. I will check them out.

I was in zone 5b when I lived in Ohio. Winter temperatures there regularly got well below zero with no reliable snow cover. Glads were not supposed to be hardy there but I left mine in the ground year after year and they multiplied like crazy. My yard had drainage problems and the bed could be soggy at any time of the year and was heavy clay despite all the decades of adding compost. Through it all the glads flourished. I know a lot of people consider them "funeral flowers" but I think they are lovely in and out of the garden.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi MrGlad
wow those are great. Do you know the name of the one in third photo in your first post? I would like to get that one!
Do any of yours stay int he ground over winter. I know glads are not advertised as hardy by my Stepmom in Ohio had some that always came back.

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

I wish I could leave mine in the dirt. I find digging them up is worth it. The third picture is called Vista if I remember. I plan to order some fancy rruffled glad this spring.

San Diego, CA

MrGlad, the more flower pictures posted the better. I love flowers!

Post away!

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm glad you all enjoyed my flowers. Do you guys have any interesting bi colored glads? Id love to see em. Or lilies for that matter.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No glads, lots of lilies.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow those are beautiful too. Love the colorful pics.

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

Are those asiatics? Gorgeous

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm slow getting back to this thread.

Thanks. Yes, Asiatics. I have others but I can't find the photos at the moment.

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

Take your time. Asiatics are pretty but I prefer the aroma of the oriental... There is a lily I'm eying up and they call it eyeliner. White with black outline- sure does pop!

Dana Point, CA

Your flowers are beautiful.Love the colorful pics. Its a good sign for all the hard work you did to have such good result. Keep it Up!!

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

UPDATE

My corms in storage have large sprouts!!! My iris and sedums have poked through the ground and some lilies have too. The lilies worry me though... Its far too cold for them the be like they are... Oh well

Yay!
I have some lilies that have finally established in my garden, after many tries. They have sprouted, did not seem to mind frosts at all.

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

UPDATE

it's now into summer and my irises have bloomed off as well as my rose. Got some nice pictures hope you enjoy!

This message was edited Jun 17, 2016 11:45 PM

Wausaukee, WI(Zone 4a)

Pics

Nice! What a lovely relaxing spot.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely blooms MrGlad .I planted glads about 9 years ago and they always return for me.I think I will plant some more next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.