Site layout questions

Carrollton, GA(Zone 7b)

I am curious about this sites layout. Yes, as stated...there is a lot to see here. However the navigation setup is terrible. For instance, To find the plant files search page, you start at one point. To then go to Garden Watchdog from that point is an entirely different path. When you search DG for a particular flower, it searches the entire site...but sometimes does not return Plant File results for the search. If you search for Garden Watchdog, you get results for articles about this feature but have to really search to find the actual section.

These issues are so frustrating that I have started to pay for a membership (so that I can trade seeds), and always change my mind when it comes to the actual purchase. This site has so much to offer. Some of the info is hard to find in other places. While most sites offer free seed trading, they lack the info on DG. What I and many gardeners that I have discussed this with do, is use DG as a reference and other sites for trading and chatting. Why not get all that missed business simply because the site is not laid out correctly? Have the admins and designers ever considered using ad space to cover fees? It is a lot more friendly way to support the site and can be all profit with the right advertisers.

That is my rant for the day. I am finished now lol. Please consider taking this site to it's full capabilities.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It's not all that hard, but it helps to spend some time on the site. Looks like you became active enough to have this level of concern just about a month ago. I can see why you aren't quite ready to get "married".

This site has had swappers of every flavor imaginable for 15 years, and somehow has managed to muddle through.

I suspect you will manage, too. I and many others here are quite happy to provide a pittance to enjoy all the site has to offer, and do without the excessive advertisements. THOSE are things you truly can go anywhere to find.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

I am also having trouble figuring out how to use the Plant Files. Every time I put a plant name in the box, it comes back with no results found. How do I get to the right page to plug in the name of the plant I need information on?
Thank you in advance!

(Zone 5a)

There are plenty of known issues with the Plant Files, Gazoodles. For me to get to the plant, bird, or insect, I basically have to find the Latin name, paste that name and davesgarden.com into an external search engine. Most of the time it goes directly to the information page, but at times it takes me to an image, which I then just click on the plant name to get to where I need to go.

It is cumbersome, but it is the only thing I have found that works consistently. I think I used one of the searches here and got a list of something, but I cannot remember how I did it.

The issue I have a hard time with is when I want to go up from species to the genus or family level to scan other plants and I get nothing.

Here is an ongoing thread about the issues:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1414447/

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

What plant are you trying to find info on? Common name is fine. I'll try to find it....

Use the Advanced Search button first, and then enter info. I haven't had any trouble that way in a while.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

I can't even find the Advanced Search button. When I click on Plant Files I get a page with a lot of other stuff people have searched for and a box to enter the plant name and my zip code. Before all the changes we would get boxes to plug in the Latin name, the common name and some other information and there was never any problem finding what I was looking for. Now it is so frustrating that I don't use plant files anymore - just do a search on the internet. I would like to figure out what I am doing wrong.

When you open the PlantFiles main page, at the top right is a search box for Dave's Garden.

Directly below that is a box with a bunch of terms, the first of which is Advanced Search. Click on that, and you will get to the page where you can enter what you want to look for.

It is different than before - I know that - but it is certainly negotiable. Searching on the internet is always something you can do to compare what you find here. Problem is: no one is there that will/can answer your questions.

Keep up the good search...

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you ViburnumValley, I will give that a go. Another question if I may, after looking at a watched thread when it shows up upon first opening Dave's Garden site, it (the notice of the watched thread) goes away. Is there a way to keep the Watched Items from disappearing once you have looked at it? (so can go back to the watched thread again)

Yes!

At the top of each thread you are watching, there is set of clickable links above the first post. From left to right, they read:

Unwatch Reply Mark unread Print Skip to new

If you want a thread to stay new on your home page, click on Mark unread. Then, it will continue to show up as if you had not looked at it - until you do look at it again.

See if that works for you...

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

We have been told that once the powers to be are done fixing the problems with the upgrade they did on the main site, they will be fixing the upgrade they did on PlantFiles, so I still have hope.

I use PFs all the time posting photos to it. Finding a plant entry can make you nuts. I now start with googling it. i put in daves garden and then the plant name. Usually works. If not, I try the "Search Dave's Garden" box on the top right side of the main PF page. And yes, annoyingly it brings up pages from all over. Often though it does not bring up the PF page, it will bring up the want lists of members who want that specific plant and if the plant has a PF entry, the name is a link to the PF entry itself.

I have used advanced search too but it only works some of the time.

Then when all else fails, I put in all the plant info to actually make a new plant entry and after I fill in all the blanks; family, common name, genus, species. and cultivar............ then hit send............. up wlll come the entry already entered that has evaded my most ardent search!! LOL JUST TO MAKE ME NUTS!

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep. : )

Thank you Viburnum, I should have realized that!

Go forth, and search well.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Okay , will do! : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images