Sad as it seems-

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Not to many people are still posting on this site.
I look every day--and there is nothing new in any of the Threads.
Doomsday has begun. So sad! So predictable. DG-you screwed up everything!

I will have to get more familiar with the ATP's formats. postings and Threads.
I have been a member of ATP since Oct. 2013. Just been hanging on here a DG.
Well--there is NO ONE left to talk to......G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey G! I'm still checking in. You're right though, not much going on. It is a real shame that the people who pull the strings (not the admins) don't give a rat's rear about the people here.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Too true. So apparent that there is no concern for members, particularly the paying ones. I'm liking what I see over on ATP very much.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I am still watching the DG threads. I have been moving back and forth between both sites for a long time. I think right now people are just trying to stay away from the mess here and hopefully they will get things straightened out and people will start posting once again.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--
I am slow in "catching on" to new things--as you all saw my struggle just to
put my Avatar on ATP site. My brain does not "process" computer things too well.
Forget all the steps and "what to do" that Jill came up with on the Seed swap site there!
It comes so easily to her, SS and so any Younger brains out there
I am not posting seeds there--I will just bring my Big Box and let people take
what they want.

Thus--I am not posting any seeds I have to offer. Most of them are the same
as last year and the year before anyway.
Just counted---I have 67 envelopes in my Box--all filled and well-maintained.
Almost nothing in there is older than 2012 or 2013.

I have some more seeds to straighten out that were in the "New this year" box last year.
NEED A BIGGER BOX!!!! :o).
I may just split off the veggie seeds into their own little box, That will make more room..
G.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--I am glad you are still hanging on here.

BTW--Do you know yet if you will have a boy or a girl?
At what gestation age can they tell? Thanks--Gita

Here is a picture of my beautiful daughter, Benita and her SO, Matthew.
They both re-located to Rockville (his job) this past summer.
Both drove cross country . Matthew first--and Benita a month later--
5 days with her BIG dog and 2 cats in her car.

It is SOOO nice having both my girls now close-by. We all spent Christmas together
as well as Thanksgiving. .
1 & 2 Here is Benita and Matthew and her BIG dog, Dublin..
3--This was last summer when they visited. Aina and mark and Benita and Matthew.

My little family. G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Washington, DC

Nice photos, Gita. Aren't daughters wonderful?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

G, I am still checking back and forth on both sites as well. I am finding the ATP site pretty refreshing. I like the look and stability of ATP from an IT standpoint and am finding a lot of great information as I peruse the forums and threads. Who knows how it will all play out, but I think it is getting pretty obvious that the forums for paying members are the least of IB's concerns for their future vision of DG. If their focus is to be garden related advertising and revenue, not really my priority with a gardening social website. Still, there is nothing that says people have to choose one or the other, it comes down to personal choice to use one exclusively over the other or to find enjoyment in both.

BTW, nice photos of your family and glad that both of your daughters are now local :-)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice photos of your family Gita. We are having a girl for sure. We got a 3D ultrasound done yesterday and they were positive on her being a girl. She was just in the right position too. We got to see her face! It was pretty great. I'll try to bring the pictures to the swap so you all can see her.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

How very cool, Sequoia. We'd love to see her!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Jeff---
Nothing like a little girl to wrap Daddy around her little finger.
I am so happy for you both.
I have boxes full of baby, toddler and older "girly stuff".
Little dresses to die for...many items hand-made. I just can't picture me dropping all this off at Goodwill! It would be like giving away a part of my life...
Depending on how you feel about pass-me-downs--I will be happy to let you go at it all.
I recently washed every piece of it and sorted them out in boxes.
Went through a lot of sweet memories doing this......
Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Gosh I forgot to check this forum for new threads. It has been a ghost town here.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So very excited for both of you Jeff.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, is that baby stuff from when your children were little?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, it is. Now they are 50 and 47 years old. All these things have been safely stored
in my attic in a suit case.
Being these items are from the 60's ans 70's--some things will not be useful any more.
Like--the babie's under-shirts had cloth tabs on both sides that one pinned to the cloth diapers to hold them up. In my time with babies--there were (not yet!) disposable diapers. Diapers were made of Bird's Eye folded gauzy fabric (Sears).
I had "Diaper service".All soiled diapers were rinsed in the toilet and then put in a bucket that was picked up X-times a week. Cleaned and sterilized diapers were then left on my doorstep in return. This was a "service"--so we paid a fee for it.
BUT--there are so many cute terry "jumpsuits" all one and stretchy-little dresses and little sweaters. Summer play clothes I made....etc.
Going up in years--there are VERY pretty dresses and jumpers for--say--a 4-6yr. old.
I made a lot of those too. I sewed everything I wore--as well as for my Hubby and the kids. My Mom and my SIL knitted and made a lot of outfits too.

I only asked if you may want to look through these things. Take what you like--
and I will contribute the rest to some charity.

I need to go to bed!! Gotta work tomorrow morning. Take care--Gita

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Just found this thread. So glad to see you all. Maybe I will try ATp again, but I need to find out how to contact them, cuz I never got a reply. Maybe I did not do what I was supposed to(which is very likely).

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jan, all you have to do is go to Allthingsplants.com. You'll find most everyone over there. There is a midatlantic forum.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jan--
What may also help you is to drag-and-drop the little icon to the left of the
ATP address URL in the upper tool bar and make that a desk top click-on.
so you can see both the open monitor screen and the Desk Top screen.
Then go to the little icon just left of the URL in the upper tool bar..
Click on the little icon and drag it down to your Desk Top and let it go. It will "deposit" the link on your desk-top. Then all you have to do to get to the ATP page is click on it.
You can do this with anything you want to visit often without having to go through
a bunch of sites and where to click on.

Hope you understand what i am telling you. Took me a bit of practice to do this myself.
I have so many "icons" on my desk top they keep sending me notices that
they can "take care of" all the "unused icons" for me. NO! It is my quick-connect
to wherever I want to go. I will take care of it myself!!!

Gita

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I have no problem getting to ATP it is the logging in part. I already have an account from years ago, but can't login because I don't have the right password. Long story that I'm not going to hash over again. Thanks for thinking of trying to help.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jan--

Contact Dave. He will pop right in and help you with all that.
He did it for me 3 years ago.--and even set it so that i am always signed in and have my oldATP password. He is nice--and good that way.

Besides--he is probably happy as a lark because so many people are going over
to ATP.
Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

What do you miss the most about being on DG???

Every morning when I get up--even when I have to go to work--I always used to
make time to check into DG and see all the new posts. Reply to some..read some..
Same thing just before I go to bed (like now). The sad thing is there is nothing to read or look at any more. Nothing to comment on....Lucky if there is ONE post....
I MISS THAT!
What do YOU miss? I have yet to get comfortable about ATP. I like the looks of it--
just need a GPS to navigate it.
It is like I am always walking on a different path and looking for "home"....
Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't miss much about DG. As long as our MAG family is all somewhere, that's where I'll be. I didn't want to go to ATP because I didn't want to change but now that I've been there, I like it as much or more than DG. Also, it doesn't really feel good adding content and posting at a place where the owners couldn't give two ships (see what I did there?) about the end users.

I've passed my tipping point. I don't care which link I open as long as I find my friends. There are a few still on this site, certain threads, that I stay here for. I've had other major life changes this past few years, can't get too torqued about this one.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Major life changes?...Like realizing you just turned 40?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Check this out---apologies from the top --Internet Brands themselves. .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1413860/

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

You know--I like the look ofATP as well--I just don't know WHERE everyone is
so I can join in on the chats. Since so many of us have moved over there,
how do you find where everyone went to?
I went to the ATP MAF Forum--and the only person that seems to be posting there is catmint. Not really as a discussion--but just quick, one-line replies to every post.
On DG--we all talked and posted ad infinitum--like having real conversations.

Maybe after all the energies spent with the Seed swap trading things will settle
down somehow.
OK! Gonna go and take a look and see who I can find. Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I am mostly posting on the MAF Forum but I also visit a couple of other spots. But right now I am just not posting much. Last few days I was at my parents house helping Mom with Dad he was going thru a rough patch. There is some very nice chatter on the Perennials Forum. I think you will like it when you get a little more used to it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Holly. I will check it out.

SO busy last few days sorting through all my seeds. I have WAY to many!
This time around--I was trying to make sure I bagged up any seeds envelopes
that were running low. Then I have the extra shoe Box with bulkier envelopes
and some new-to-the-Swap seeds.
In this process--I found a baggie-full of more Hyacinth Beans. These were
in 'storage" from the day I got them from the woman at the HD. (WHO was she?)

I sorted through all them and marked a bunch of them as "seconds" b/c the pods had
fallen to the ground and the beans were not in pristine-looking shape. I think they are OK as far as growing them. So--I bagged these up in more little baggies and they went in my BIG BOX.
Rest assured--ALL the beans you are getting are in excellent condition--just from 2010.
I suppose if you soak them well they will still sprout. You will get 3 baggies of them--
about 10 beans in each.
One seed I have never had is from a plant that grew on it's own at the edge of a bed.
I took a picture and posted it. David ID'd it as "Indian Tobacco" Google it--just to see
if you may want to grab some of this. As well as my Giant, purple Amaranth seeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gie6QsFeGuI

edited to say that the seeds off these are as small as those of s Digitalis. Just "dust"....
You can't even pick up just one!

Gita

This message was edited Jan 29, 2016 3:52 PM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I post over at ATP too and so does pretty much everyone from DG MAG.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

They have re-vamped the DG homepage again!!! I had to sign in all over again.
Could not remember my password--as I have never logged off for years!

Had to go through all this new password they gave me --and then change it back
to what it was. I have been on DG since 2003--! am almost offended! Gita

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I have to sign in every time I come on. Maybe it was something I did awhile ago, but for several years I didn't have to sign in.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

You should be able to fix that under "my Profile--my Preferences", etc..etc...
There is a link for "change password".
Then just follow all whatever they tell you to do. G,

I usually stay logged in . Don't blame DG but look at your password save options or privacy settings

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

Just jumped in to say hello to Gita and a couple other old friends I have not heard from in a while! I thought I was the only one not visiting DG too much these days!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--
I have been logged in for years! I never log off.
When I tried my usual "Home" click--a whole new screen was there. HUH?
Because the way the Home page looked--I started looking for where to click on
to get back to DG. This may be the reason...somwhow I had logged off...
Seems I had become a non-subscriber somehow as a result. That is all I can figure out. BUT--I had to go through all the rigmarole of signing in as a new person.
My sign in did not work. My password did not work. I had to write to Melody or Terry
who straightened me out by e-mailing a link where I could, easily, log back on.
SOOO--yes! I got a bit frustrated....

Sally--have you posted the pictures you took somewhere? If yes--WHERE???
I went looking on ATP-but could not find them.

Still struggling with all this...what else is new? G.

Sorry, Gita, I cannot imagine what happened to your account.

I see ssg has given you a link on the thread that you posted to at ATP Follow link and see PAGE 2 of the thread, not quite halfway down.

By the by, sometimes certain browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc) don't play nicely with certain sites or programs. At the library, Internet Explorer is getting clunky and does weird things to people's Yahoo email. We tell people to use Chrome or Firefox and that fixes it. Internet Explorer has been around a long time and may not be the best anymore.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2016 8:42 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--
--I have Mozilla Firefox.
--The things that I have under Internet Explorer are most of my Bookmarks I have saved.
--When I come across something pretty, definitive, a lovely picture of a plant, an article
I copied and "Saved As"--these things all go under "My pictures".
Many things I save also go into "

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

I have not been on Dave's garden for a long time and I am very dissapointed with this format can something be done about it ? It used to be so vibrant . I just renew my membership and now I am sorry about having done so . I do not like the new format , and this is probably why so few people on the site.

This morning I decided to join Dave's garden again after a long year of being too busy to get online for the garden. I am so sorry to see the changes , I do not like the new format , it is not inviting . After all if it was not for us the subscribers there would not be as much going on. Anyway I am happy to see that some wonderful people like Gitagal is still on this site . Are we still having the seed exchange? What has been going on .

This morning I decided to join Dave's garden again after a long year of being too busy to get online for the garden. I am so sorry to see the changes , I do not like the new format , it is not inviting . After all if it was not for us the subscribers there would not be as much going on. Anyway I am happy to see that some wonderful people like Gitagal is still on this site . Are we still having the seed exchange? What has been going on .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.