Habenaria rhodocheila

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Habenaria rhodocheila is a terrestrial species with many orange to red color forms. This one is a neon coral. The flowers are spurred. It spends much of the year in the greenhouse as a dormant corm stored under a bench. The plant puts out new growth in November. I begin water and fertilizer and continue until after bloom when the leaves start to yellow. Then I cease fertilizer and gradually slow water 'til it's asleep again.

Unfortunately the DG title automatically capitalizes the species name which is incorrect nomenclature.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Wow! That's a new one for me. Going to do some reseach...

Did you have any idea about the orchids I posted a few days ago? They were just the first two.

Daisy

I did answer on that thread.

Auburn Four Corners, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Maypop!
That orchid is stunning. And you know just how much neglect to give it ;-)
I love the Habenarias and a lot of the other terrestrials, but without a greenhouse, I've not tried them. But I sure do admire them! Thanks for posting your shots!

Thanks! I have posted photos infrequently lately. Almost always using a small tablet these days and haven't mastered good closeups even with add on lenses. The view counter hasn't worked since the new format was implemented so I can't tell if anyone is interested in orchid photos. Are you still growing? There are hardy terrestrials. With a little protection you could probably grow Calanthe, Tipularia (Cranefly) and Spiranthes (ladies' tresses). I have all of those outdoors.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow, gorgeous flower- the right amount of 'neglect,' indeed!

posted 3-5

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.