Leuchtenbergia Principis (agave/prism cactus) problem

Gilbert, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi everyone,

I bought a Leuchtenbergia Principis, commonly known as agave cactus, back in the fall season from a garden sale. The plant had yellow spots on most of its tubercles, except for the new grows. I initially assumed they were sun spots, however after reading that the species mostly grow in full sun made me wonder if the plant had experience other form of trauma.

Any comments or suggestions on what caused the yellow spots are welcomed, thank you!

This message was edited Jan 8, 2016 12:39 AM

Thumbnail by Flyingsaucer Thumbnail by Flyingsaucer Thumbnail by Flyingsaucer
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Those spots look very strange - almost like a virus. If the new leaves are coming out fine, I would say that whatever caused the spots is gone. If it continues to happen, I would look into Cactus Virus X.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Sorry only just saw this post for the first time ....

Those look like the markings left behind by the cactus bug. They really like certain Opuntias but obviously are opportunists. It is hard for them to get to really spiny plants, but the plants with nice accessible areas of the plant often get visited.
I have never had a plant die from it, but it sure makes them look ugly so if I notice them I tend to try and get rid of them asap - usually hard water sprays, but I guess some kind of systemic insecticide would work too (which I have not done).

Here is a link with more details:
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/beneficial/c_v_aequoris.htm

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

It looks like a squash bug. Yuk! If it were the bugs, they got left behind at the cactus' former home or flying saucer would have seen them. If the new growth is coming out fine, it's a non-issue. If the new growth is also coming out with spots there's a problem.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

They are seasonal-ish. I see them late spring - Fall depending on temperature.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.