labels

Decatur, GA

In an effort to improve my plant labels I got a P-touch label maker! See my results. I have lots more to go.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

What an interesting idea. Is the name printed onto the plastic tag by the P-touch label thing?

Decatur, GA

The label maker produces a label that sticks on the plastic tag. I will have to find out how well they hold up outside. The rain and UV may ruin them.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Keep us posted. If it works, it would sure make labeling easier.

Menasha, WI

helenchild, What a great idea. I have the same label maker but never thought to use it that way. Thanks for the idea. cll

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That is indeed a great idea. I guess as long as the label is not made out of paper and the lettering gets burned onto the label not printed with ink it should be reasonably sturdy to the outside conditions - UV is always going to be tough though.

For the permanent plants in my yard I just recently got a bunch of the metal stick in the ground tags that need to be stamped, we have a couple of nice alphabet stamping sets so I have a nice project this summer when it too hot outside to work in the yard to get those made. This will really give things the feel of a mini Botanical Garden...

But for all my little plants in pots something like what you are doing would be a great solution - my memory alone is definitely not cutting it anymore ;)

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I have been labeling the old fashioned way - plastic tags and a soft lead pencil. My problem is the tags keep blowing away. Burying them with just the tip sticking out or putting a softball sized rock on them hasn't worked. My weather station clocked the wind at 50 mph the other day and I can see more lost labels out there.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I have a P-Touch Label maker too, I use the Indoor/Outdoor labels. They come in either clear or white. I have had labels outside for two winters now-no sign of fading or the tape peeling up.Size of letters is adjustable.
There are threads somewhere here in DG about the labels , but I don't recall exactly where.People liked them that is why I got one. There are many varieties of P-Touch labelers, they take different cassettes of the tape. The directions were almost incomprehensible.

Decatur, GA

Thats good news Pistil, that the P-tough labels do well outside. I feel even better about making more plant labels.
If the wind is a problem maybe a hole in tag and string to tie it to the plant. I may do that myself since my labels seem to disappear and tying them would probably help my chronic problem of nameless plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.