What Type of Holly?

East Bridgewater, MA

I have only American Holly on my tree list, so this has to be a new species for me (found in Groton, CT today). The leaves were painful to touch but didn't have the obvious thorns American Holly does. I have a few more pics if necessary.

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Take a look at some online images of 'Nellie R. Stevens' Holly (Ilex x 'Nellie R. Stevens'), and see if that's a match.

Here are some images I've taken over the years...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
East Bridgewater, MA

I think it's a match. Thanks VV! On the job even when you're in Der Fatherlund.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I always get so jealous when I see a nice full NRS holly. Mine were planted spring of 2013 and have had a hard couple of winters so far. Both winters ravaged them badly. This winter I decided to spray them with Wiltpruf and see how it goes. My neighbor has one and it is very scraggly and generally unkempt looking. I don't want ours to look like that. Do you think if I prune them a couple inches every so often that they will grow fuller and lush looking? Right now they mostly only have the first year leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.