Fruit trees for Houston/Katy

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

So far we have a fig, satsuma & blackberry vine/bush. What other fruit trees or bushes will grow here that require minimal care, especially insect control? I would need something that doesn't get too huge for the backyard (live in a neighborhood) but have a spot in front side yard that could support a larger tree. That's where I have the fig planted. Any type of lemon? Other suggestions? Thanks! Janet

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I guess no one grows fruit trees in Houston?
Will a Meyer lemon grow?
Any other citrus?
Anything?!
Janet

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Lemons do grow in Houston- Meyers2 nowadays. We grow loquats, adore the flowering aroma

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Kitt! Is it too late to plant a lemon now?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I woUldnt think so...lemons will flower in waves, more lemons as tree gets older, bigger

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'd go with a loquat tree, although, I'd give my two arms for a fig tree, if I had the space!

I'm about to begin harvesting all the FREE loquats in my neighborhood. The trees are LOADED, and, no one eats the fruits!!! We grew up fighting over them.

You can make jams/jellies, smoothies, wine, pickles, freeze them, dehydrate them, etc. So much from such a little fruit that's basically there for the taking.

Loquat....Japanese Plum..."Misbelieve Tree"....

This message was edited Mar 15, 2016 9:05 AM

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

In my neighborhhood...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ha, Mark "borrows" plums from neighborhood trees while he's running! He loves them. I think the developers got a good deal on them because they are planted all over Houston neighborhoods. Our front garden came with 2 but I didn't like the trees at the time & had Mark take them out--replaced with crepe myrtles!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.