Status of Updates and Fixes (New as of 12-23-2015)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

To try to keep things manageable, here's a new thread so we can keep track of the still remaining issues. Here's what I know has been fixed, and what is outstanding:

Fixed:
Skip to New works
Favorite forums are accessible
Name hyperlinks now work
Date/Time stamps
Quote boxes
Apostrophes no longer trigger a backslash
Return to post after viewing photos in a thread post
Ads and ad boxes are gone for subscribers with ads turned off
Auto thread watcher - if you post to a thread, you *should* be automatically watching that thread, unless you have your preferences set otherwise.

Still outstanding:
Highest priority are these three:
1. Forums page is loading slow
2. Home page not syncing with forum updates - try hitting the forums page instead of home: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/ (I know it isn't as easy to get to as "Home" but it is accessible at the top of every thread.)
3. Forced preview (except on quoted replies)
4. Some symbols (such as the temperature degree symbol) are still causing posts to vanish upon preview.

Not highest priority, but on the list of fixes for an upcoming release:
Number pages at top as well as bottom.
Return to thread top (?) or bottom (?) or another spot after you submit a reply.
Add back the "while you were typing, a new post was made" alert when you are posting to a forum.
Tweak font size, background colors, etc. for readability.

Questions:
What about photo upload showing "failed to upload" even when pictures do upload?

Am I missing anything that is not working?

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Terry, Thanks for the updated thread.
For some reason, though, I can't get this one to update on my watched threads. I clicked on "Watch" and clicked on "Mark Unread" so I could come back later and read through your new list when I have more time. No luck.

I never had any problem with the old thread showing in my saved threads.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay, I think I have an answer. Marking it as "Watch" didn't work, but as soon as I added my own post, it showed up on my home page in watched threads as having a new post.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Terry:
Quote box not working (not essential but handy). A box around a statement for emphasis is often needed (as in announcing a new thread!).
Underscore not working
Bold not working

None are critical but do need to work at some point please. Have the symbols for these features perhaps changed?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I am still having that disappearing post thing.... I had a long post, did not show up in the preview window but thankfully I copied it.

I do tend to use the double hyphen a lot, so I deleted those, and it still did not show up, then I deleted the "Degree" symbol which i also use a lot and it worked.

so then i went back to my posted, after it posted and added back the degree symbol.

* just retested it here, and would not post with the alt+0176 symbol

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

testing the double hyphens -- to see if they work. As I really does use those a lot.

Quote from nutsaboutnature :
Okay, I think I have an answer. Marking it as "Watch" didn't work, but as soon as I added my own post, it showed up on my home page in watched threads as having a new post.

Had someone else posted after you? If not, then it's still not working quite right. It should only show up on your watcher as "new" if you are watching it (whether you've posted to it or not) AND when someone else posts to it since you last read it.

Quote from june_nmexico :
Terry:
Quote box not working (not essential but handy). A box around a statement for emphasis is often needed (as in announcing a new thread!).
Underscore not working
Bold not working

None are critical but do need to work at some point please. Have the symbols for these features perhaps changed?

It seems to be working fine?

Quote from tcs1366 :
I am still having that disappearing post thing.... I had a long post, did not show up in the preview window but thankfully I copied it.

I do tend to use the double hyphen a lot, so I deleted those, and it still did not show up, then I deleted the "Degree" symbol which i also use a lot and it worked.

so then i went back to my posted, after it posted and added back the degree symbol.

* just retested it here, and would not post with the alt+0176 symbol

Okay, so we are at least narrowing it down to specific symbols. Until they can take another look, I would just leave out the degree symbol. So sorry for the added work of having to spot-check for non-allowed symbols :-(.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

-Terry
1) I don't see that you have included numbers for pages at the top and not just the bottom as was requested by many.
2) It would also be helpful if the allotted number of posts per page were consecutively numbered 1 thru 40 (or whatever # of posts per page settled on). Helps me know when I might fall off the end of the earth! er page.
3) Could the Read More/Read Less function be a user preference rather than appearing in every post of any size? I'd love to turn mine off!
4)Have the techs made any changes to address the lost post or the picture download problems? If not, my examples still stand. I might add that I suspect that the 'enforced preview' function stripps more stingently than the old did which could explain why what we used to post without a prob we can't now...
5) Terry, all of your quotes on posts above do not show up in a quote box for me so it is hard to tell where quote ends and your reply begins.

Quote from coleup :
-Terry
1) I don't see that you have included numbers for pages at the top and not just the bottom as was requested by many.
2) It would also be helpful if the allotted number of posts per page were consecutively numbered 1 thru 40 (or whatever # of posts per page settled on). Helps me know when I might fall off the end of the earth! er page.
3) Could the Read More/Read Less function be a user preference rather than appearing in every post of any size? I'd love to turn mine off!
4)Have the techs made any changes to address the lost post or the picture download problems? If not, my examples still stand. I might add that I suspect that the 'enforced preview' function stripps more stingently than the old did which could explain why what we used to post without a prob we can't now...
5) Terry, all of your quotes on posts above do not show up in a quote box for me so it is hard to tell where quote ends and your reply begins.

1. Good catch - I thought I had that in the list, but I did not. I've added it now.
2. I'll ask them about it, but I'm not sure how that would work or look.
3. I can ask about the read more/less as a user preference. I'm going to guess not - but I will ask.
4. I can't get the lost photo to replicate. (Lost post is listed above.) The forced preview isn't causing the problem (we had issues with certain symbols doing this in the past. But it may be making the issue more pronounced since you do notice that your post went away, as opposed to hitting "submit" moving on, and not realizing that it didn't post. I have asked them to remove the forced preview in an upcoming release.
5. It is actually putting the quote in a separate area/box, but there's no line around it, so it's fairly subtle. I'll see if they can make the quote area more distinct.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Terry,
No one had posted (including me) when I first clicked "Watch" plus "Mark Unread" for this post. Your post was the only one.

Because I didn't have time to read through your updated list when I first spotted the new thread I thought I'd save it and go back to it later. What I discovered was it wouldn't save to my home page even after several attempts. I decided to quickly post you a message so you'd be aware of the issue.

Out of habit the last thing I do is go back to my home page and I found that once I had posted this thread was now showing up as new in my watched threads.

In the past I would sometimes save threads from people that had asked a question even if no one else had responded to their request yet so I check back later. I think this is the first time I had this happen.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

When I choose a pic and hit Open in my files I see
candylove2jpgCANCELUploadFailed

The Upload Failed notice appears well before the Upload has loaded or failed.

For me, the whole message does hang longer on the code.jquery part after I hit Update Preview or Send Reply. Does same hanging when I attempt to post a message through Preview with some character that isn't allowed.

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
(Zone 5a)

Quote from june_nmexico :
Terry:
Underscore not working
Bold not working

I saw someone below your post used bold. What are you using? I was able to bold something a week or so ago on the new system.
Bold
< b > Text < / b > Without spaces

Underline

< u >More text < / u > Again, without spaces

I wish when they did the whole forum overhaul that they would have made this possible with a click of a button within the post editor. If I want to emphasize something, I tend to use capitol letters, if no more than a word or two, so I do not appear like I am shouting. It's easier than the bother of typing in the code.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2015 10:34 AM

(Zone 5a)

Quote from Chillybean :

Bold
< b > Text < / b > Without spaces

Underline

< u >More text < / u > Again, without spaces

This message was edited Dec 24, 2015 10:34 AM

This is strange and I should have made a screenshot. In the preview I saw everything as I intended it to be. But when it posted from "Underline to More text" were missing, including the code in there. It is possible I messed up the code, but didn't think so since in the preview my Bold word was bold and my underline was underlined. ???

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Chillybean, I note that your original message 'broke' about where Read More would kick in. I have several examples of messages that will not post even though they show ok in Preview because of the three dots directly in front of the Read More designation, especially in text quoted or copy/pasted into message body.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2015 1:18 PM

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Giving it a try. Here goes.
testingunderscore
< b>testingbold

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Underscore worked but the post cut off part of my insert for Bold. I retyped it several times but it didn't work.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2015 10:41 AM

Quote from nutsaboutnature :
Terry,
No one had posted (including me) when I first clicked "Watch" plus "Mark Unread" for this post. Your post was the only one.

Because I didn't have time to read through your updated list when I first spotted the new thread I thought I'd save it and go back to it later. What I discovered was it wouldn't save to my home page even after several attempts. I decided to quickly post you a message so you'd be aware of the issue.

Out of habit the last thing I do is go back to my home page and I found that once I had posted this thread was now showing up as new in my watched threads.

In the past I would sometimes save threads from people that had asked a question even if no one else had responded to their request yet so I check back later. I think this is the first time I had this happen.

Two observations:

1. If no one had posted, but you had clicked on it to add it to your watched list, then no - it will not show up as new until there's new activity...but

2. Are you trying to find it on your home page or the Forums page?

Regarding bold, underline, etc., fhis isn't the best place to test out html - let's use the Test forum for that and leave this thread for reporting new issues or trying to troubleshoot known issues for the techs.

But long story short, html tags for bold, italics underline and strike-thru do not have any spaces within the brackets. If you leave a space before or after the letter or backslash, it may not behave as expected.

Can someone give me a link to a read more/less thread? I cannot make it work for me and I've tried a "regular member" login that I keep for testing.

Just an FYI, since it is Christmas Eve, Melody and I may be more offline than online over the next few days. I will check in occasionally, but I will be tied up with family celebrations later today and most of tomorrow. I think she's in the same boat. We appreciate the input and we wish each DG member a very Merry Christmas!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Quote from Terry :
Two observations:

1. If no one had posted, but you had clicked on it to add it to your watched list, then no - it will not show up as new until there's new activity...but

2. Are you trying to find it on your home page or the Forums page?

No, I didn't check the Forums page, I checked my home page watched threads. That's always the last place I go before I leave DG. I didn't go there specifically to check for new threads so I had no reason to go to the Forums page.

By the way, for any of you having trouble with "quote boxes". Usually when they don't work for me it's because I left out part of the symbols (html?) at the beginning or end. It's the same thing with things like Bold or Underline.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Terry and Melody, and everyone else dealing with all these headaches, please enjoy a stress-free Christmas!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I join KyWoods in wishing Terry and Melody a bit of a Christmas break from the stresses and strains of this web site makeover. Merry Christmas!

And nutsaboutnature -- I too had the same issues with not being able to create a quote box and with bold and underline. I see both now appearing your last post so perhaps this glitch has been fixed. And a Merry Christmas to you!

Things go a lot smoother and more gets accomplished when people list the issues and avoid going into a long diatribe about all their complaints. I'm glad to see more descriptive comments about issues now and notice how much faster they are being addressed.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

June,
I never noticed any glitch with text boxes or bold and underline. I was explaining that the only time they didn't work for me was due to an error on my part, not an error on the site.

I was just reminding people to make sure they didn't skip any of the symbols.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Terry,
I forgot to thank you for listing the "slow loading" forums. To be honest, I thought it was my computer being slow. Happy to find out it's not my computer. :o)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Not sure if this has been mentioned.
I went searching for a comment I had made the other day and used the "Posts you have made" instead of listing the postings it took me to the beginning of the thread I had been posting on.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok. I dont have Skip to new, and the paginator has totally disappeared. Am I at the threads end?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think you were, in fact, at the end of the thread. But I also am not always confident that I pushed "skip to new" enough times. I hope I will relax soon now that it seems to be working.

Quote from HollyAnnS :
Not sure if this has been mentioned.
I went searching for a comment I had made the other day and used the "Posts you have made" instead of listing the postings it took me to the beginning of the thread I had been posting on.

I *think* that's the way it always worked - it doesn't take you to the post (actually it would be nice if it did).

Quote from kittriana :
Ok. I dont have Skip to new, and the paginator has totally disappeared. Am I at the threads end?

Since this thread is fairly new, it hasn't yet reached enough posts to go to page 2, so no pagination (yet).

And the next time you access it, the "skip to new" should bring you to the last post you read :-).

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Teri I thought that Threads you posted on took you to the threads and you could put in the Forum you were looking for but posts you made took you to a list of all the posts. I could be wrong by now I am getting pretty confused.

After posting I would like to go back to the notation that there was a post while I was posting.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Another one for the list-it used to be if I did a search then scrolled through the thread, that word was in bold or colored or something, so if the thread has 200 posts it could be found without reading each post (aaaagh), this has disappeared. I would like it back!
Also, not sure if this is included as a subgroup of being alerted to new posts, but the different blue or green colored letters in thread titles in the lists-does it mean anything? I really liked being able to just glance at the Plant ID forum and see if there was anything new on certain threads.

Quote from elsie :
After posting I would like to go back to the notation that there was a post while I was posting.

I agree - it's on the list of fixes and additions the techs are working on, in my first post on this thread :-)

Quote from Pistil :
Another one for the list-it used to be if I did a search then scrolled through the thread, that word was in bold or colored or something, so if the thread has 200 posts it could be found without reading each post (aaaagh), this has disappeared. I would like it back!
Also, not sure if this is included as a subgroup of being alerted to new posts, but the different blue or green colored letters in thread titles in the lists-does it mean anything? I really liked being able to just glance at the Plant ID forum and see if there was anything new on certain threads.

You are right - I just tested it and the URL has "hl=" at the end, but the word/term is not included. if it did the hl=[word] would highlight that word throughout the post. I'll ask them to add that to the fixes.

The color change (green=new activity, blue = read) is more subtle than the old yes/no column. But yes/no was confusing to so many people that we created a standard reply for it at the helpdesk. (A lot of people couldn't figure out what it meant, and why when they posted something the column said "no" next to the thread they posted to. Many of them thought they had done something wrong.)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a query no one else has said anything abt, so, forgive me, but...
The posts count up, one full lage after another, when there are say, 6 pages, the area shows up for you to upload pix, and post a reply...but the same box is on page 1 of those 6 as well. I have been afraid to try page 1of 6 response area when responding to page 6. Is this a needless worry? Does it matter in the long run, or is it going to answrr page 6 on page 1? And Merry Christmas! Chuckl

Quote from kittriana :
I have a query no one else has said anything abt, so, forgive me, but...
The posts count up, one full lage after another, when there are say, 6 pages, the area shows up for you to upload pix, and post a reply...but the same box is on page 1 of those 6 as well. I have been afraid to try page 1of 6 response area when responding to page 6. Is this a needless worry? Does it matter in the long run, or is it going to answrr page 6 on page 1? And Merry Christmas! Chuckl

Good question - when you post a reply it will automatically add it to the end of the thread.

Quote from coleup :
When I choose a pic and hit Open in my files I see
candylove2jpgCANCELUploadFailed

The Upload Failed notice appears well before the Upload has loaded or failed.

For me, the whole message does hang longer on the code.jquery part after I hit Update Preview or Send Reply. Does same hanging when I attempt to post a message through Preview with some character that isn't allowed.

Coleup, I was able to reproduce this error, and I'm letting the techs know right now.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Thot that was more norml than the failing to upload issues we had been having- I simply thot it was delaying long enuff to decide what my action would end up being, coleup, chuckl.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks Terry, maybe it will help.

Wish I could help on the Read More/Read Less. Every thread I read now has this. I'm on Firefox 2.0 and Mac OS 10.4. Yes, really!

There is also an 'unresponsive script' that hangs up every page as it loads.. When I click to cancel it. my page position shifts back to posts predating the last round of changes early Dec and then I scroll down from there.thru ones I have already read to any ;new' I'm not able to identify which script, but it loads near the beginning or end of final 'read Daves garden before new page completes. Don't recall ever having gotten this script to complete by waiting for minutes or overnight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.