CLOSED: Winter Birds

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Last time I thought I had an Orange-crowned Warbler, it was a pale Pine Warbler. I'm trying again. Is this one an orange-crowned? All four images are the same bird.

I'm in Willis, an hour north of Houston, Texas.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

This is another bird that I don't normally see in the yard. I think it might be a Yellow-rumped Warbler. We have the Myrtle in this area in winter as per the range maps.
Is this a Myrtle? All three images are the same bird.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
(Zone 5a)

I am terrible with warblers, especially in non-breeding plumage, so I won't try and steer you wrongly. :) Those are great shots and what goodies did your first warbler find?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Chilly. He was eating some bits of suet. I usually put a few bits in the platform feeders for the little guys that have a hard time hanging on the wood suet feeders. He might have also been eating some of the meal worms I tossed in there or the black oilsunflower seed bits.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Orange-crowned for the first one.

Second one, I'm not sure; too much yellow on the breast (as opposed to the flanks) for Myrtle [Yellow-rumped]; best guess a Pine Warbler, but I'd like to see more pics from other angles.

Resin

This message was edited Dec 22, 2015 12:30 AM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Resin. I didn't get any other shots of that second mystery bird, so it will just remain a mystery.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.