Giant bird of paradise

Perris, CA(Zone 9b)

My giant bird of paradise leafs are turning brown, can any one explain to me is this normal or is there a problem? I appreciate anyones help....Thank You

Thumbnail by Rojasgv Thumbnail by Rojasgv
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like it's older leaves and yes they can turn yellow when it becomes a bit cold or cooler with some wind. All leaves have a life span when they can no longer do there job effectively they push up a new one and abandon the older ones.
Just like people and hair the body abandons one longer hair and with any luck replaces it with a new one.
It also looks like you may have a calcium deficiency which can be brought on by planting them in an area that is too sweet they kind of prefer a more acid medium being a relative of the banana family. Concrete, cement, some types of stone chips add to the Ph problem since they can leach lye and lime into the soil in range of a planting. Get your soil PH tested and be sure you have not planted them too deeply, as well, if you live near the ocean that they do not receive too much salt exposure all of these issues can contribute to early leaf decline and eventual death of your plantings

Perris, CA(Zone 9b)

I greatly appreciate your response and expertise.......Thank you

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.