Bald Cypress Seeds

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

Hello. I recently harvested some Bald Cypress cones and allowed them to dry. Today, I broke them apart to try to identify which part of the cone is actually the seed. As I broke these crinkly brown, cracked balls apart, small, white round objects fell out. Yet every photo I see online shows the seeds as looking like triangular brown pieces of the larger package from which they came. Can anyone advise me as to which part of my project is the actual seeds?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You should show us what you have, so that identification becomes "that one" or "not that one".

That said, your original statement that you "...allowed them to dry..." may present a problem. Keeping woody tree seeds hydrated is usually important, though I've never tried germinating Taxodium distichum seeds.

Resin or others may have more direct experiences to relate to you.

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

After reading some more on various online sites, I identified the seeds (described as "winged" triangles) and soaked them and the rest of the cracked pieces in a bucket for a day. To my surprise, a day later, I have a half-dozen that look germinated without any stratification. Those went into little pots with soil; the rest are now in ziploc baggies inside a medium, labeled and refrigerated. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.