New Fish

Athens, PA

I purchased 2 koi which are to be delivered today by UPS. I am assuming the water in the bag is going to be rather coolish- or I am hoping. I would like to acclimate these koi to my pond, which is outside. Water temps have been high 30's or so to 40's.

Can I still just float the bag of fish in my pond are release? I would prefer to do this as I don't have an indoor set up. I am thinking I should float the bag longer than the usual 20 minutes or so.

Thoughts?

TIA

Athens, PA

I just double checked my water temp. It is 45 degrees in my pond.

Thoughts?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Don't know of any other way you could acclimate them to water temp. other than float them for a longer period of time. Did they come from cold water? That would make a lot of difference I would think.

Anyhow, good luck with them.

Athens, PA

I don't have them yet, Bonnie. They typically come in the early evening.

I have seen where people buy koi in the winter and keep them in a fish tank. I have also seen where they have a lot of problems with ammonia spikes and the koi suffer because of that. So, I would just as soon acclimate them and get them into the pond.

This dealer quarantines all of their fish for prior to selling, so I am thinking I should be ok in that regard.

Athens, PA

OK - not sure if I like the new format.......

Anyway, I took about twice as long (about an hour) as I usually do to acclimate the new fish to my pond. They seemed to be fine this evening after introducing them into the pond late yesterday afternoon.

These are the fish that I added yesterday. I have found that fish, as well as pond supplies cost so much less than during ponding season.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22 Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I always get my best deals on fish during this time of the year. Most breeders want to shut down production for the year to prepare for the spring spawning season and the zillion of fry they'll have in a few months. Many people, due to the cooler temps, don't bid because their ponds are frozen.
I'm not a fan of the new format. It's too cluttered with advertisements.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

If this is a new format it stinks.

Anyhow, Carolyn I hope you have good luck with your new fish.
Jeff was here yesterday and moved 2 of the larger ones to larger pond. He has discovered one of his has problems. Back to the stock tank and meds. Yuk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.