'tis the season

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Id, it is a pinus in heavy fog that's freezing as the day grows older. Scranton, Pa.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Looks like a Japanese White Pine, Pinus parviflora - beset with bagworms in image 4.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/81191

Doesn't appear that PlantFiles has many images to compare with. You could find a lot more searching elsewhere.

Japanese White Pine is a five-needle pine (in the clusters/fascicles), and presents itself with the "tufted" look to the needle arrangements on the branches. If Resin is observing this, he'd probably recognize the cone right off.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Japanese White Pine is correct (and yep, I did recognise the cone right off :-)

Resin

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've never seen bagworms on any of my P parvifloras. I get plenty of them on junipers and X. nootkatensis (or whatever it's called now). I have a P parviflora right next to a juniper which regularly is infested and I don't recall seeing one on the pine. How often do bagworms afflict pines?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Any time they land there, and start eating...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

There were only a few bagworms- wasnt aware that was a bagworm casing- knew it for a parasite. Those were all on groundlevel areas. Thought the shape was interesting for a pine...thanx VV and Resin. Interesting tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.