Cornus florida, native dogwood, berries turn black- normal?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My dogwoods' berries have mostly turned black and shrivelly. Same thing last year. Is this normal? I think they used to stay red, and then a flock of birds would eat them at some point. In fact, my sister remarked one fall about the tree covered in red berries, she thought it was so striking.

I think they are fairly healthy and vigorous. They may have leaf spot as seen here
https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/Ornamental/odin23/od23.htm

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, if they were red and normal-looking before they turned black, then I would say that birds and squirrels might just not have eaten enough of them while they were still red, for whatever reason. Did you see any red berry remains on the ground before they started turning black?

I can't say, I didn't take time to think, or happen to notice, if they did. Maybe this is the normal cycle.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I don't think that is normal.

I haven't had a chance to look for what might cause the black/shrivel of your dogwood's fruit, but I'd lean toward some sort of fungal pathogen as the cause.

testing my thread updater

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, I remembered to look at my dogwood the other day while I was home during daylight hours. Mine still has red berries on it. I didn't see any that were black and shriveled.

Thanks Terri. That suggest to me it is localized problem. I might have a couple sick dogwoods. You know me. Home grown and minimally fussed with. But decent sites and healthy enough looking overall.

What color are those fruit today? Or are they buried entirely...

I guess they've mostly fallen off and now buried. The best thing the dogwoods are doing now is serving as feeders hangers. I'm wishing I had more, other, berry sources for the birds.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We have C. kousa and florida. The kousas are more spreading. Seem to have a greater crop of berries. My birds love holly berries, especually Burfords. Lots of cardinals stick around for those. Looks like Mahonias are next on the berry menu. Love the year 'round look of Mahonias.

Sally:

Who should note to Maypop the subject of this forum...

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, not native but wild and with berries.

There are lots of native hollies in the woods near here. I am fostering a number of babies of those, but wondering how long it will take before they bear or even flower for me to see which will be mommas and which poppas.
The dogwoods I have are also all volunteers.
(Confessing to a Mahonia with a big crop of berries in progress. My Burfords berries never did seem to get eaten, ever.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.