Sunshine - transplant time

Fort Worth, TX

About to clear a bed and move the peonies out of pots and into it, I am going to check the zone requirements on the Leopard plant I started from a customer discard and try to find out where to put it, and still wondering on the fig. My guess is south side of something.
Based on where I have seen them in customer yards, which means my north side flowerbed is out.
and considering a beebalm (monarda) divide. Anyone else outside?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I killed my monarda my dau claims. I moved it and poof! It disappeared! Figs are grateful for anything carewise and shouldnt be too picky other than liking Tx shade for afternoons.

Fort Worth, TX

well my monarda is about 5 ft wide so I think potting a couple of bits for trade at a plant swap and keeping them in the greenhouse (I put white plastic over the back of the roof and open windows on 3 sides in summer) I might be able to pull them through the summer.

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

You are motivated Gypsi! I have an event this weekend, them after that I am free and will be hitting my garden hard! I've been wintersowing (I did 100 containers), then I started all my veggie garden seedlings (another 200), then last night I repotted every single container plant I own. They needed freshening up :))

Next week I plan on rearranging some plants in flowerbeds, dividing some overgrown plants for the June swap (is that a thing for sure?), and tilling my veggie rows. Sweet hubby surprised me yesterday with a new set of shelves and some light hanging hardware for them. I was blindsided in the best way imaginable!

Fort Worth, TX

No SPWD - well I may be motivated but so far NOTHING is in the ground and I started 16 tomato plants and cheated and bought 4 at the feed store, won't start squash til I can start them in ground, figure a flash frost tonight to boot. and the peonies are still potted. Work first then garden. i owe bids and have a job this morning to haul equipment for.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

A cold front blew in last night went from AC to heat. There is a good chance of a freeze the next couple of nights. Also, windy a cold wind.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Gypsi, if your peonies bloom please post pics! I'd never seen them before we went on vacation in SW Colorado. Gorgeous blooms the size of a softball!

Fort Worth, TX

well I don't think they are going to bloom til I get them in the ground. My grandmother grew them in Michigan, I remember big pink blooms. Unfortunately been dragging in from work after dark now that the rain stopped. will plant and if bloom will post pics

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I planted a planter with some sunflowers, cosmos, and zinnia seeds. We'll see if they germinate. Also took a couple of days off work to get the garden bed cleaned up so we can get planting. I also need to divide some perennials and move some others. Lots of work to do, little motivation to do it all. LOL

Fort Worth, TX

i have a ton of motivation but not enough hours and energy in the day

Dallas, TX

I have time but no motivation. Until I can find someone to dig new beds, I can't handle any more plants, as tempting as they might be. I have sages that are going crazy, including one that never went dormant, irises are blooming, scabiosa has a bloom today, Greggs Mist is sprawling everywhere (which I might regret), and then there are the plants that are still in pots. Frostweed, various hostas, an unidentified fern, abelias & agarita that absolutely have to go into the ground, at least one passion flower is returning nicely, a pipevine that is blooming now, etc. I also noticed that some Southern wood ferns are sprouting back up. I wish I could do the digging needed to create a new bed. This would be the perfect time to do it. On the other hand, it's also a good time to pot up some baby ferns as they are popping up all over my neighbor's yard where they were first planted in the '50s. About all I can handle right now is feeding the birds!

Fort Worth, TX

I am so busy with ponds I am barely home in daylight and not much energy. I got a few perennials from last year's RU and the great Ace Hardware raid in the ground last sunday, and got swarms in boxes. Have to work tomorrow, have housework and more gardening this Sunday

Dallas, TX

Gypsi - I love Leopard plants. They have them in most of the nurseries in Dallas and from what I've gathered, they do well in shade.

Fort Worth, TX

they do, I got mine half dead after a pond cleanup, it was small and had volunteered in the wrong spot, I nursed it back to life on the front porch last year. I want to get it in the ground on the north side, going to add irrigation line to that bed, I know it likes more moisture than I have. When I can divide it I will share. But for a 4 leaf start it isn't doing half bad even after the hail. it was in front of the peonies, but a nice high sided pot was some protection

Fort Worth, TX

I almost planted my peonies today. But both the beds I want to plant them in are next to the house, and I have the insurance coming to check the roof on Thursday, they will be so much safer in pots under the tree, with the azaleas and leopard plant that I also wanted to plant.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good plan!

Fort Worth, TX

I get a roof, they get bigger pots if needed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.