December 2015-Will we see snow??

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hope we see some snow this winter. It's not winter without snow. lol

Sugar Maple a couple weeks ago before all the leaves finally fell off.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

That is beautiful, Amanda.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

They have the most beautiful fall colors.

Hi Betty, did you really get all your kitties gone?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Well I don't mind snow as long as it snows on the grass and not on the roads...lol
I just hate seeing dh freezing to death trying to clean off our drive.

This picture he had to dig out the tractor before he could start cleaning the driveway with it.

Thumbnail by happgarden

JOYCE, WOW .. THAT IS A LOT OF WORK TO GET READY TO DO A LOT OF WORK :p

This is what it looked like when it was done snowing. lol

So Pepper I and DH can go alot of years without snow, altho my plants enjoy it.

Thumbnail by happgarden

I prefer snow over this dreary rain we have. lol

me too!

Not me I don't have to move the snow and the sun will come back out...lol

I shovel snow at work when it gets above freezing. lol. We use the snow blower and shovel by hand at the same time. We unfortunately don't get into snowball fights but I might hint the idea to the guys this year if we get any snow. lol

Joe seems to enjoy shoveling snow, he always has the driveway and walkways cleared by the time I get home.. I hate shoveling.:P

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I love snow but have to have shoveling done by someone else. I would much prefer not to play the old lady card. :-(

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi Debra! The 2 female kittens will be picked up Dec.11. The 2 males have not been spoken for yet. Yes, I have been absent lately, but we also have the new puppy. I'm constantly filling water and feed bowls, cleaning up puppy accidents, litter boxes, and cuddling/snuggling. It's been fun!

Pepper, all of the evergreen shrubs are thriving. Thank you again for bringing me these lovely shrubs. The bushes that were left with my mom and Kenny are also doing well.

I will be clearing some more of my dh's stuff out of the basement. My nephew will be picking up the weight lifting equipment on Monday. He recently lost weight for health reasons and started running and working out. When I called and asked if he wanted his Uncle Mike's weights, he had just asked his wife for weights this Christmas. I'm gifting them because he is a very special nephew.

I also found my dh's vast collection of vinyl albums; including The Beatles "Abbey Road". I'm just going to store them in a safe place for now. He also had a large collection of music audio cassette tapes and CDs. It may take the rest of my life to sort thru all my dh's collections; one at a time. Hopefully, I'll have time to sort thru my own stuff, so no one else has to do it. Mine mostly consists of a huge book shelf filled with gardening books. Then, there are all my gardening tools, etc... etc... etc...

We haven't received hardly any snow since I bought the new snow shovel last winter.

Betty how fun it must be for you with all the babies.
I often look at Joe's vast vinyl colllection and his thousands of cds, tapes and stuff. I asked him what the heck does he want me to do, he says let the kids worry about it. HA! I told him if I die before him to bag up all my seeds into a giant plastic bag and drive around tossing them out the window on the roads, and to have the zoo and botanical gardens come pick up the plants. I don't have much else of value, that is for sure.:P
I am glad you love your special nephew.

I feel blessed. I was lucky enough to spend the afternoon with Debra today. That girl is funny! And then there's the fact that she is a total sweetheart. I've now been to her house twice so next time she's coming here. I had such a lovely time.

Pepper, your picture of the sugar maple is absolutely stunning!

GB, I am so jealous of your menagerie. Babies are so much fun. Does your puppy still have puppy breath? Probably not by now. They are all so cute when they're tripping over their own paws.

It's hard to believe that Christmas is just a few weeks away. We are supposed to be in the mid 60s Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I still can't find my electric blanket which I've been looking for for a week. I have a feeling I'm going to be needing it one of these days. Since Tucker had his incident in August, he doesn't jump the way he used to. Considering I didn't know if he would ever walk again, it's a small price to pay, but I have a high bed and he used to sleep with me. We both miss it. A friend of mine has a husband who is a handyman and he made a stepstool type a thing for Tucker to step up on and then get on the bed. He's in training LOL but he's doing pretty well. I think it'll be a few days before he actually jumps up there on his own. I will say one thing. His snores are much louder when he's laying right next to me.

Patti, I did have such fun with you, too. When Duke was older we made him a ramp.. maybe your friend can do that.. we just used a piece of flat wood. Went outside to fill the bird feeders, give all the dogs in the yards treats and then pulled up all the dead four o'clock and tomato plants, stashed the poles and cages away, put a few things up for winter storage in the dog run. Tomorrow, after I get done with the dentist and the dr, I will go back out and clean up the piles I made. Then I am going to throw some seeds around.

I have a commercial ramp a friend gifted me with a couple years ago when her two large dogs passed, one after the other. The way my bedroom is set up, there would not be adequate room because it would have to be at such an extreme angle. When mom stayed with me last time, she used to stepstool to climb up into that bed. The bed is an antique and sits high off of the floor then it has a pillow top mattress. It used to be even taller but I took the casters off A few years ago. Good idea though.

LOL I filled the birdfeeders when I got home too. I think they should've named them pigs instead of birds. Then I fed my crew. You would've thought they didn't have breakfast. Now, I know that's not true.

I hope your appointments tomorrow are a breeze. It was good seeing Joe and Rose again. I really did have a nice time.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's been hectic again.

While on the treadmill I have been reading two Christmas recipe books my SIL gave me. I love them. Some recipes are fancy, some easy. Some with liquor which will never happen, and I've made a few of the recipes in the past.

Serious indoor decorating starts today :o)

I finally finished going thru photos and getting the butterflies and moths named that I hadn't gotten to. It's hard! I finally got them transferred to a San Disk stick. That took over two hours. Then I put them back in the Seagate external drive. That took about half the time.

DGS woke up sick last Saturday so we will take the boys shopping this weekend.

SIL got a deer last night so I will go out Thursday and help cut up.

Since the weather is holding it's time to get the Christmas tree in the house. I haven't done much decorating. We've worked on the outside lights and bows. We are now lit up :o)

Saturday morning DH noticed a star being especially twinkly. It was about 4:00 am and it was fairly low in the west. I saw another smaller one a little farther north and a little higher up. The low one was spinning and pulsating red, green and blue. It's something that has been seen all over and as I guessed is an atmospheric occurrence. It was something to see! We couldn't get it focused to see it clearly either.

https://deusnexus.wordpress.com/.../unknown-glowing-light/

Have the best day you can!!

We made our bed higher so our sweet basset couldn't get in bed with us. He would get in bed and then slowly thru the night take your pillow and then wiggle you out of bed...lol Now he has a nice cozy big bed on the floor next to dh.

Our natural decorated Christmas tree won first place, voted by the community! I was surprised, the tree was pretty but not what I thought most people would like. I don't have a good photo of it when we decorated it. We had burlap tree skirt, burlap garland, birds, butterflies, pinecones, real bird nest, lights, and seed heads of all kinds. Underneath the tree I brought my miniature garden and decorated it for Christmas, pine cones were laying around, along with a small birdbath with seeds and dried orange slices under it. Someone also had some pinecones that were lite up and they were really cool and went under the tree. We had to take it down on Sunday...lol Now I need to get all my decorations out.

Sorry to hear DGS is sick, yuck. Bet he was so disappointed.

Wow I am going to have to check out the flashing 'star'. Very Interesting!!

Made a trip up north to Excelsior Springs to pick up some puppies for my best friend today. They are Australian Shepard mix though they aren't 100% sure what the dad is. lol. Pups are sweet as can be and one is super feisty. lol. Became fast friends with their other puppy who is a Boston Terrier Jack Russell mix and super hyper. lol

Sounds like alot of bouncing fur, puppy breath, and lots of kisses!

And hair pulling. lol. I laid down on the floor and they started playing with my hair and ended up pulling out my hair tie while wrapping my hair around my head and trying to shove their faces into my arms, which were covering my face, and just all around giving me a headache. It got to the point I had to yell for help and my friend was downstairs and apparently her son didn't hear me so no help for me. My head still hurts a bit from all that. lol

oh that sounds like a lot of fun, Amanda. I can just see you with all those little sharp teethers pulling at you.. sorry you have a headache, hope it feels better soon.

Joyce, wish I could have seen that tree.. have fun with the decorating!
Billy,Very cool, being able to see that star, really hope your DGS is feeling better soon. No way could I run a treadmill and read at the same time.

Patti, we need to go look at the xmas lights and get hot cocoa after while it is Christmas.
We cleaned up the back yard some more, Joe got 4 bags and half a tote of leaves from the back yard alone. They are packed tight too. He is pooped.
Dentist visit was great, dr vist even better, my BP is down, my left elbow has tendentitus, my left knee will heal and I have to do excersizes to stretch my achilles tendon more. My left side is crap! LOL

Joyce, because Tucker is so big he's not a lap dog, although he would love to be. I like sleeping with him. I don't like the dog hair though. :-). Tucker has four beds in this house but he's happiest in mine, so I guess that means he has five beds. LOL

I was hoping to see pictures of the Christmas tree too. It sounds like you had a lot of fun participating in that and to have that tree awarded first place has to make you so happy!

Pepper, puppy breath. I do so love puppy breath – and being mauled by puppies. It does hurt when they pull your hair, doesn't it? On occasion, Mynx will see my hair dangling over the side of the chair and start using it as a toy. She combs it with her claws and tries to pull it out with her teeth. That's one of my least favorite things that she does.

Deborah, with the way Time is flying by, if we're going to do that, we had better get on it. Call me when you have a break in your schedule. I love hot chocolate! LOL

When it turns light outside, I need to go check my serviceberry tree, which is to the north of my front porch. As I walked in the door yesterday, I glanced over and I swear it's budding. You know how things register subconsciously and then later you realize it. That's what happened with the tree. I sure hope it's not budding. If it is, that means no blooms next spring and it is beautiful when it blooms.

Where did Will go? Haven't seen a lot from him lately.

Waving to everyone! Have a great day!

The juncos have arrived. Yay!

wait, did they leave? ALL the backyard birdies we had last winter, never left..

I accidentally killed a chickadee, a black cap to be exact, I feel so guilty, I'mma bird killer.. it got into a mouse trap.. *sniff sniff*

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I'm still here! Just standing around. Waiting to go into my new and glorious job at 2, I'm at mcd's. I tell ya, I'm on cloud 9 about this job. I don't think I buffaloed them into giving it to me really. They required an aptitude test and made me this ridiculous offer based on that, so I took it! I like this sign that says, "Ring Bell, if no answer, Pull Weeds".

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Black capped chickadee's, Carolina wrens, juncos and, of course, Cardinals are among my favorites. Sniff sniff along with you, Debra. That just sucks. I have never heard of the Juncos sticking around and have been watching closely for their return. They are the small slate colored birds with the white breast and belly.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I just typed a long post and it errored. Out of time. I will try again later. Hello everyone.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My mom always called Dark-eyed Juncos "snowbirds". Remember, she grew up on a farm in rural NW Tennessee. My dad lived just down the road. It wasn't until a few years ago that I learned their real name.

Felix, one of our older cats is trying to get me to pet him and keeps trying to lay on my keyboard. I guess with the kittens and puppy he's feeling a little neglected. I wanted to try to recreate the post that I lost earlier, but I may have to stop and pet the ol' kitty.

Real quick while he's washing his paws. Debra is a sweetheart. Lucky you for living so close. (Ok, I take that back about Debra because I just read the post about killing the chickdee. -- Just kidding!)

Love the weather we are having right now. Know that it can't last long. Highs 50s Lows 30s.

Our puppy has bad breath. The only puppy of 7 with smelly breath. Didn't think to mention it at the vet yesterday when she got her puppy shots. I even give her denta-sticks to chew on. The vet thought that she was a full-blooded Aussie, but she's only 1/4 Aussie, 1/4 Boxer, and 1/2 Lab. Those Aussie Blue Merle genes (her maternal grandmother) must be dominate. She even herds the kittens and the other puppies. Drags them by their tails too; until I scold her to stop.

I no longer fill bird feeders; unless we have had a lot of snow and ice with low temps for a while. I've always tried to have vegetation that the birds can eat; like bushes and trees with dupes and berries, etc... I read in my wild bird book that it's better for the birds. I'm sure there is a forum on DG for this. I haven't visited it for a while. I need to pay a visit.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday activities. We had Christmas caroling practice at church tonight. Next Tuesday, we will be caroling at a nursing home. We sounded terrible tonight, so I hope everyone practices before our next group practice on Saturday.

Here are a few pics of the 4 legged kids. They're hard to photograph because they're always on the move.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

More baby critter pics.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

I just learned this year that Snowbird was the other name for the Junco. Those are the sweetest little birds. I always love it when they come to visit.

GB, LOL, I just read your description of your puppy: boxer, lab, and Aussie. I found myself saying aloud after reading how your puppy is already herding, "oh my". ROTFL. That is going to be one oversized herding dog. LOL Don't herding dog nip at heels? Y'all are going to be wearing heavy boots! LOL (I am just teasing you.)

If that little furry girl were mine, I would call the vet and have them make a note in her chart about her breath. That way it can be discussed when you go in again. The only time I've experienced bad breath in dogs, other than normal dog breath, has been due to a tooth problem.

Love, love, love the adorable pictures of your granddaughter and all the critters. Thank you for sharing because I do so love to laugh and smile. I did both. Your pictures are wonderful!

Thank you for reposting after losing your post. It's always nice to hear from you and find out everything that's going on.

We sure have a bunch of busy people on this list. I feel so lucky I found you guys.

My two darling demons were just over in the chair. Mynx was there first and Tess jumped up to join her. They started out bathing each other but within three minutes they were batting at each other. I just broke it up before the claws came out. They don't hurt each other but I have seen fur floating in the air after one of their "play sessions". I love living with these animals. They keep life interesting. LOL

I love looking at the photos of every one's GK's, babies, dogs, kittens, chickens and well, anything to do with life is good for me. What is even better, you guys, is that when you are typing your stories and anecdotes and musings, it is like reading a book and I am always feeling like my day is complete when I have read a chapter. Betty,the second row second pic is one I dearly love the best as far as the kitties, I'd take it if I could. FOR REALZ. I miss having a dog, and I love to see my grandcats. They are all different in looks, temperaments and personality's, but I love them all the same. I am after all, the Grandma who paid for all three of them when they were rescued, as a Blessing to bestow on those three of mine that grew up without a cat in the house. Joe does not, I repeat, does not like cats. Love him to death, that Joe of mine, but, ....:P
Off and on thru the years, we tried two times to sneak a cat in and thought we'd keep it as a secret. HA! One time they brought home a baby stray they FOUND so helpless and hungry. I agreed they could keep it as long as their DAD did not know they had it.We used a doll bottle with Joanna's okay. ( Charlie used to live in the basement) well, that first night, we sat around the dinner table ( yes we all sat down together for meals) and in tween the conversation we all heard a real soft pitiful sounding "mew" the kids starting eating really fast and Joe asks "Was that a cat I just heard?" Silence. Deafening Silence. I looked at them and they looked down at their plates. No one would fess.. it "mewed" again, and then again.. it was hungry. Soooo, I looked at Joe and said" they found a kitten, I told them they could keep it if you didn't know, so now you know, we'll get rid of it tomorrow" .He looked at me, looked at them, and said" I told you no Cats in the house and that is the way it is" soooo, I followed his statement with " I've told you over and over again that you can have a cat as soon as you MOVE out" and no more was said, the kids all finished eating quickly and disappeared for the rest of the night tending to that kitten. All three of them. All night. LOL ( Me too) He is a great guy, you guys,and I don't want anyone else, to take care of me, so I gave up cats in the house as soon as we married.
End of that story, next story later.. (((((hugs)))))

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Is your formatting different?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Somebodies got it all screwed up.
If this continues, I will ask for refund of membership.

i DO NOT like this new format

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What a mess.
Go to the bottom of this page, right hand side.
Click on contact.
Use the form to let them know how you like this craziness.

why do we need to see threads from 5 years ago? and why do we need to preview before posting? *whine*

They announced the changes last week I think it was. I personally like the old style also but I don't see them going back to it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.