How to Propagate Salvias in Zone 9b?

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi, me again. Ha. I did search all over DG and got myself thoroughly confused, so here I am back at "Florida Gardening," because you guys understand best I think, about what I am asking.

I have the ONE salvia plant in the photo. It's hung on for me quite a while and all I've ever done to it is remove dead stems and throw fertilizer on it once in a while. It gets sun and sprinkler water.

How can I make more of this one? I'm not even sure WHICH ONE this is, but it's the only one I've ever bought that survived for me. As scraggly looking as it is, I sort of love it because it's held on so long, you know?

I looked at a flower and didn't see any "seeds" anywhere.

Then I googled and there are too many types of salvia to even make sense of, much less find the specific instructions as to how I would propagate THIS particular one (in my zone, etc.). I think this is a fairly common salvia, but I need someone (please!) to tell me how exactly to propagate it, or point me to instructions that would work, if you know of any!

(PS: I'd also be willing to order salvia seeds that would work for my zone if anyone knows of a good place for that.)

Thank you all so much!

:)

Thumbnail by hollyhock17 Thumbnail by hollyhock17 Thumbnail by hollyhock17
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm not sure what kind of salvia that is, but the fading flowers hold the seeds. When the bottom flowers are drying out, you can cut the whole flower off and let it dry in a paper bag for seeds.
I could only find this video on how to do that. although my plants aren't near the size his are
I usually just shake the flowers on the plant and the seeds fall off into my hand or I use an envelope.
Your plant may be a hybrid with sterile flowers that won't set seeds.

I've bought Fl friendly salvia seeds from Onalee, here in DG. http://www.onalee.com/

If my memory serves me right, I was thinking they don't save well and should be sowed soon after harvesting. But I could be wrong on that.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

many of the salvias that I looked at you can propagate from cuttings.. Hardwood or softwood cuttings. you can do this during the winter time in starter trays take your cutting dip it in a rooting powder and put it in the potting soil in the starter tray. of course you need to keep them in a place that it's not cold. keep a good supply of water in the drain tray. my thinking is if it works great if it doesn't nothing lost

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks all!

I have taken a cutting or two and dipped it and am waiting to see if anything happens. So far it looks like a dead skinny stick. HA! Oh well, nothing lost there. I'll try getting the seeds out of some of the blooms, too.

It's very possible this is a hybrid, I don't remember where I got it and the fact that it's lasted so long and done so well tells me maybe it has "super" powers. :) I'll get some seeds from onalee, I think, kinda fun to try growing salvia. I've never done it at all.

Thank you again!!

Englewood, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, take a look at: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=300
Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.