Pruning clematis

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

When do you prune clematis here in the desert? Seems like mine are really taking off now after a silent summer. Do I go ahead and follow the pruning guide for the type or do you adjust the schedule due to the difference in weather.
Thanks,
Dee

Gilbert, AZ

I'll jump in since no one else has. What does the pruning guide you're reading say to do? My inclination would be to wait until February after our predicted last frost to prune off anything. I'd be worried about pruning it now and losing growth that would protect it from freezing back to far in case the temps get really low like they did a few years ago. What's your inclination?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Dee,

Marie is the clematis queen but she is not on this site anymore.
I have several clematis, mot of them in the pots and I do not prune at all. I might cut if they are damaged and the spent flowers but I see no reason to prune here since they do not grow as fast and as profusely as in the temperate climate.
You need to experience for yourself and decide what is the best for you and them.
Good luck.

Thumbnail by RODICAP Thumbnail by RODICAP Thumbnail by RODICAP Thumbnail by RODICAP Thumbnail by RODICAP
Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks all. Not pruning is what I was leaning towards. Good to hear I am not totally off the wall. I planted three in the ground and two in pots. The ones in pots survived but Only one in the ground made it. Back in WI I had about 12 different varieties. Some you'd take almost completely to the ground and others less and others none at all. Gardening is so different here. Thanks again.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

You are so right, Dee, though from November till April and sometimes even part of May, we might thing we can grow anything till the heat hits us and we are back to reality. lol

Gilbert, AZ

Interesting to hear about the difference growing in pots and in the ground. What do you think accounts for this?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Crista,

I my opinion, it is easier to protect them from the summer's sun in the pots since they are movable and the soil might be easier to improve in pots that in the garden.
I think the secret to growing them in pots is to have a big enough pot not to get too hot in the summer and have enough room for the roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.