Old Dishes with Lead

(Zone 5a)

Sadly, last week we tested my grandmother's wedding dishes for lead and it came out positive. We didn't use them often, special occasions and the platter for roasts. Now that we know, we won't be eating off of them. The plates have "Semi Vitreous" stamped on the bottom, and likely it is the glaze that is lead.

One of my older children likes making clocks and asked if he could make one from one of the large plates. My first thought, YES! But realization hit. He has to drill one hole in it to put the movement and hands on. Would a mask be enough protection for him?

If there is any risk to him, I won't allow him to work on this. But is there anything at all that can be safely done with these plates instead of collecting dust on a shelf or being stored away in a box?

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!