Rheum - Why?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I brought my ornamental rhubarb down from Hagerstown and it is thriving. I have made several large leaf castings from it, but it is changing and I don't know why. See the ragged leaf? That's how it is supposed to be. But it is now sending up leaves that are rounded and I don't know why. I had the plant for 6+ years and it never did this until now? Thoughts appreciated.

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I don't know but congrats on your photo in Tropicals category!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Looks to me as if the clump got bigger and a part of it reverted to the original type. I'd dig it up and divide it, cutting away the area where the plain leaves are coming from. You could replant that as "regular" rhubarb (especially if it tastes good LOL) or just toss it.

and yes, that's a great photo you posted for the contest -- congrats!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the congrats. Took that photo while visiting Kirstenbosch Gardens in Cape Town SA.
Why would it revert when the original was for years the ornamental?

This message was edited Nov 13, 2015 8:36 AM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Haighr, check out this comment in Plant Files. Maybe you have the old plant and a new seedling which will eventually grow crinkly leaves!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1855/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Why would it revert? Same reason an established plant can suddenly "sport" into something new, only more likely... some ornamental or variegated strains are really unstable that way, but I think reversion is almost always a possibility. ?

A seedling is another possibility... even in a "sterile" variety (which I think most rhubarbs are these days), you could get an occasional viable seed. Fun to watch and see what it does in spring!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks. I felt better after reading the plant forum comments. Perhaps it will throw up more serrated leaves in spring! Hope so as this is the only one thriving and I use it for my leaf casting.
I will keep you posted in the spring!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

AHHHHH--someone else has "different leaves" issues besides me.
Mine is/was the Hibiscus.
G.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hope you figured yours out. I am hoping it comes back with the jagged edges in the spring!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Haighr--Nope! Not hoping for such miracles. I think it will be the same...

I cut it back to about 10" or so and gonna keep it in my basement
just because i am curious what it will do next summer. Not holding my breath,

1--here it is--all cut back for dormancy in the Shop.
2--This is what it looked like just a week ago. Lush and healthy--bur a mutant.

gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's an extremely cool leaf on the "fancy" part... if it comes back partly fancy and partly regular, I'd recommend dividing the two sections. When my butterfly japanese maple "sports" and gets branches that look like regular green j maple, I've been told to waste no time cutting them off... the parts that revert to the "normal" plant are generally more vigorous and will take over if you don't take them off.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Took your advice Jill and dug it up a few weeks ago when we had some nice warm temps. Dusted it off. There was no way to tell what was what, but there were two "eyes" on the root stalk so I replanted it with more compost in the same spot and... Can you believe it now? It coming up all over with the lovely serrated leaves!

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Looks like I'll be making plenty more leaf castings, lol I thought this one from hagerstown that reverted to the regular rhubarb was not going to make it so I bought three more in early spring!
Guess I should not have given up o. It so quickly since it has bounced back after digging and shifting.
Here are the new ones I bought.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here are the new ones I bought. I got them as bareroot from Whites Flower Farm in early February. Potted with my compost and they are really taking off

Thumbnail by haighr

open a casting factory! glad they're OK

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

This is the first one I made.

Thumbnail by haighr

It's gorgeous! I have cast some other leaves, but the paint effects are beyond my limited skills.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much. I made this set with Alocasia leaves and it been under my downspout for over a year and has held up great.

Thumbnail by haighr
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool! How does this fancy variety taste?

And is there any chance we can get you to visit your old stomping grounds the day before Mother's Day? aka Plant Swap Party Day!

Most awesome gutter ever.
RIc in Dover PA made a fabulous set of leaves for a garden 'stream', you've got to see sometime.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I would love to see the garden stream pictures. Especially since I am running out of ideas for how to use them.

Thanks for the invite Jill, but won't be up at that time. We are actually coming up next week for doctor appointments. Just Monday thru Wednesday. Going to be busy as we cram in a lot of appointments Just can't get doctors down here that we like.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Haighr, Those leaves are just beautiful.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks Holly. I hope to make many more. The plant is really producing.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Looks like this plant has come back with friends!!!

Thumbnail by haighr
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Fun fun fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.