Japanese Snowbell

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

My Styrax japonicus is showy this fall while the Cotinus 'golden Spirit' is a bit of a dud. Usually it's the other way around. Here is the Snowbell today from my window.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

That's a pretty little tree.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

ditto

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And I'll bet your snowbell looks nicer in flower, too!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Is it a four season tree? I suppose every tree is a four season tree, but...oh, you know what I mean.

Well in winter it is a pretty ordinary leafless tree.
Spring- Lovely dangly little flowers, I placed mine in the raised bed so when I walk to the garbage bins, I look up at them. I think they are great.
Summer- very pretty round-spready kind of tree with a nice shape and pretty leaves. Nuts developing dangle too and give some interest.
Fall- pretty yellowish leaves, not spectacular but see photo above.
I consider it a top tier yard tree here. Also it seems to have sailed though our drought this year, I hardly watered it.
I think three seasons is about the best I can do. Do you have any trees that truly are special for all four seasons?

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I can get 4 seasons ... with Acer griseum, because the bark is so beautiful and it is visible all year, even when the tree is in leaf.

Thumbnail by momlady
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Momlady the bark on your Acer griseum is spectacular, even in full leaf.

Thanks! I'm hunting for a close-up pic but can't find one!

Keep looking!

please...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Geez, Momlady, I was just about to lay out a persuasive argument why A. Griseum doesn't shine in summer and then you show that specimen. Never mind.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I think of snowbell primarily for it's spring flowers, though it has a nice full form, so I guess I'll give it two seasons. Fall color is always a dud for me. And nothing going on in winter.
But it sure puts on a show in spring.
First picture shows mine all budded up ready to pop. Amazingly dense buds.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

As for bark, I also love A griseum but I lust after Pseudo's A triflorum. I've seen some mature specimens at MoBot and the bark is fabulous. Nice trees for bark texture in my yard are my Tanyosho pine (P densiflora umbraculifera), Pseudocydonia sinensis, Stewartia pseudocamellia (couldn't find a decent picture - take my word for it, it's very pretty bark) and crape myrtle (Lagerstroemia faurei).

Edited to fix the name of my Tanyosho - forgot the 'densiflora' part...

This message was edited Nov 14, 2015 11:34 AM

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And another couple trees w/ nice bark I forgot about, persimmon trees and Kentucky coffee tree.
I guess Pistil's thread got a little hijacked ... sorry to veer a little off course.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Wee your Snowbell is laden with blooms, you forgot about the fragrance, ooh the fragrance.

I never knew there was such a thing as bark lust, lol...I'm smitten.

Hijack away, I'm following this closely, as it rains on and on and on...

Wow, stunning bark! Thanks for sharing! Pseudo and Mipii, I'm still looking for a close-up of the Acer griseum, alas, I have zillions of pictures and now there are so many that I often can't find what I want. I need a new cataloging system.

OK, now for another hijack...
Compare Weerobins's persimmon tree with the Dioscorea elephantipes...wouldn't it be fun to have these in a landscape together (forget climate needs and the amount of $$ one would need to buy the Dioscorea).

Thumbnail by momlady

That was a find, isn't that coool! I even like the succulent behind the Dioscorea elephantipes.

Me too!

Here's that Acer griseum...

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady

Our standard fall colors.

Thumbnail by momlady

Working to add some pizzazz...

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady

Well rats, I forgot to put that last Acer griseum pic where it belongs. No many leaves are left on the tree, but they were pretty.

Thumbnail by momlady

Very nice, thanks! I sure like your pommes. What a difference adding some pizzaz makes, I love it. Now if only I can identify more than the Cotinus coggygria and Acer japonicum...hmm...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice, MomLady. What's that middle one with the nicely patchy bark?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I can recognize that one - despite the abundance of moss/lichens/whatever enjoying the excess moisture and obscuring the puzzle-piece bark. Note the buds...

Anyway, more barking going on over here (in case any hounds want to join):

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1408987/

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I was of course thrown off trying to figure out the obvious confirerosity!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.