Damaged pine tree! Will it regrow??

Denver, IN

I really didn't know the correct forum to put this under, so forgive me if this is the wrong spot. Back in June I planted 2 - 2 1/2' eastern white pine trees to fill a whole in an existing row of established pines. This morning as I was gazing out the window I noticed one was missing its top. I ran outside to examine it and in my opinion I think a young buck came through and rubbed on it, breaking off the first foot of growth. :( It is the center tip with two small side branches that broke off. Will the center regrow, or and I going to have a deformed pine tree from here on out?

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

There are many species of pine.
Some will sprout new growth pretty readily under these circumstances, and you may have several new twigs to choose from. Others do not sprout very well, and you may have to take whatever they give you.

The new growth will be out to the side, just like that whorl of branches was.

Since there is no vertical growing top (called a leader) one or more of these sideways growing branches will start growing up. This means it will be curved at the bottom, where it comes off the main trunk. Over time this will be hidden in wood and bark, but you will be able to tell for several years that it is different. It is also a weak spot in the wood.

You can help the pine by selecting the strongest of these side growths and encourage it to grow up, and nip off the others. Remove perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the branches you do not want. Stake the best one in an upright direction.
Do not keep it staked for too long. You want it to grow and flex with the wind to develop strength, especially at that joint. But for several months (perhaps all of its first growing season) the support and direction from the stake can help.

Cage the young trees so this cannot happen again. Once deer get the idea they can use certain plants as rubs they will keep coming back.

Denver, IN

Thank you, Diana_K!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.