Native persimmons

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Just realized there are native American persimmon trees, Diospyros virginiana, in the overgrown fence row of the farm across the road from us. Fruits are small, about one inch in diameter, but they are handy and the price is right. A pear tree is present too.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

cute. Let us know when you are brave enough to try one.
Last fall I found a persimmon on the trail where we walk Addy to the marsh. Spindly little tree with about 30 fruits this year. Fruits are still firm and we have not had true frost. I am happy to have it though. And I also saw two inside the fence of a stormwater pond. The fruit on the bare stems caught my eye last fall.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, the folklore that persimmons require a frost to ripen is a myth. Even on the same tree the fruits ripen over weeks, rather than all at once. They fall almost immediately when they become fully ripe and have lost their legendary astringency.

Interesting.
I tried one last year. it was not ripe!
I've found animal droppings in my yard with, I think, persimmon seeds. (fox, possum, raccoon?)

Downingtown, PA

I found a grove of American Persimmon trees in Downingtown, PA, a few blocks away from my home. The first is a bowl of the delicious fruit I collected from the ground, the second a shot of fruit on a tree in late summer, the third a large tree in summer, the fourth a maturing group along a run, and the fifth is a tree in winter. A wonderful native tree in the South, Mid-Atlantic, and some beyond.

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb

at the marsh today. I took a side trail and woops what's this? Another young tree but this one really fruitful. And then. Oh! It is mom persimmon and half dozen siblings

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

On the native persimmons, I always found the skin bitter, but less so as it ripened. Ripening and frosts usually occured with the same timing, so easy to say its the frosts fault.

Downingtown, PA

My father from southern Illinois told me years ago that an unripe persimmon is very tart and makes the lips pucker. The fruit is ripe in September and October when fully orange, and best when not real soft.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

O no, soft has the best flavor for the natives. By far. Not true for the domestics as much. Chuckl, a few experimental tastings will let you know which you prefer. Not mushy, but softish enough to split skin when squeezed. I used to store a few in a denim pocket while I rode pastures, occasionally to my moms rage, they would get washed there. Told her quit snatchin my clothes at night she wouldn't have that problem when she didnt clean pockets.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Ha ha funny kittriana!
Lucky you to find nearby fruit, Greenthumb. One of my neighbors has a pear tree, but I don't think anyone eats them... the lawn crew cleans up whatever deer, raccoons, etc. don't eat.
I just went over to pick up one to taste...it wasn't bad. It reminds me of a crispy Asian pear sold in grocery stores, but I can't remember the name..

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Okla always had a pear tree and roses by the old homesteads, i snagged a few of those to munch as well, or possum grapes and wild plums thru the seasons. Those homesteads that were no more, usually had an old garlic patch, or leeks under the outer edge of a tree; i spot huge old apple trees on the sides of the road in Ohio on the eastern edges and I don't believe anyone harvests those either. Time to head up out of warm south Tx and head for icier prairies, now

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Typically when they hit the ground they are ripe... the down side is that is when the deer find em.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.