Trees From Leaves Only

East Bridgewater, MA

I tried posting this on the Plants forum but got no response so I'll try here. My students brought in these leaves for me to ID and aside from the catalpa I'm stumped (although one is a birch I know, but what species?)

Anyone want to try these out? No pressure, I just want to tell the kids something...

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

top row could be Forsythia bushes, I think...

You may like to tell them that looking at one leaf may not identify a plant, any more than looking at one finger on a child's hand can identify the child in a classroom.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well said Sally!

East Bridgewater, MA

I was thinking Forsythia for the top row as well. That will be good enough for them. lol

Thanks

I can be briiliant at 2 am! Offsets my daytime stupidity.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...I didn't even see the time stamp. Geez Sally, are you trying to relive your college days?

haha, college days, once was enough!

8^O

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah that's for sure. Many a dawn was seen before going to bed.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I think this is a great way to introduce kids to nature-how hard it is to identify a tree just by a leaf. Of course some of these may be introduced ornamentals, but a simple key may be a lot of fun for you and the kids to go through. I found a nice one on the internet for Midwestern trees, put out by a library in Ohio, of all strange things.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/index.html

East Bridgewater, MA

That's an excellent database of trees. Thanks for sharing Pistil!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.