Eastern Redbud?

East Bridgewater, MA

I thought this was a crabapple until I took a closer look.

Tough, leathery leaves in alternate arrangement. The leaves don't look heart-shaped enough to be a redbud and I saw no stringy fruits on the tree either. This is right across the street from me, so i can get more shots when the light is better (damn no daylight savings!)

Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Not redbud, but I can't give you an ID.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes, take pictures in daylight.

And collect a piece (pieces) and take them to where you can get good focus on the small parts.

Your first image reminds me of Cotinus sp., but some of the others look like you have a Celastrus orbiculatus wound up in there.

More information = better ID capability.

East Bridgewater, MA

I finally got ho,me before daylight a few days ago and took these pics of this mystery tree in my neighbor's yard.

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Did you take any more pictures?

Since this is in your neighbor's yard, do you care to tell us anything else about it?

Does it flower? When? Any fruit borne upon it? When?

Some closer shots of the buds (where leaf petiole attaches to branch) would help.

It has many characteristics of Rosaceae membership; maybe one of the Quince bunch.

East Bridgewater, MA

This tree is right across the street and I never noticed a thing about it. I have no idea if it fruits or flowers.

Probably easiest just to ask.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Buckthorn?

Resin

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

It does look like Buckthorn. They are the last woody plant to change color and lose their leaves around here, which makes them an easy target for late season foliar spraying. It's their only redeeming quality...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.