Texas and Clematis

Fort Worth, TX

My clematis are 2.5 years old and at least 2 out of 3 are still alive. They are on the north side of my house. As I kept planting and they kept disappearing this time I put my little 3 inch plants in 1 gallon pots and buried all but the top 4 inches of pot. I get a bloom now and then and am keeping them alive but not well. Soil is not too bad for Texas, but mostly not amended, this is the front bed I soak by laying a hose down, I put some hardwood mulch on the front of the bed to reduce weed growth and hold moisture in. Back part has an explosion of strawberry plants and heartleaf scullcap.

Any suggestions on helping my clematis thrive instead of just creep through. (and they had gotten so dry a couple of times they looked burned and I thought I had lost them, trying to do better on watering)

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

What kind of Clematis are they?

Fort Worth, TX

pink, blue and purple. I think jackmanii (purple) and the other 2 are the single bloomed variety. Unfortunately I ordered them from Burgess and can't find receipt but they are the common ones.

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

My experience mirrors yours. I am on my fourth plant. Walmart is selling them at 70% off if you can find one. This time around I bought a well established plant and plan to keep it in under cover during winter. Lets see if it does better. As such it is a pretty hardy plant and should do well . Good luck to you.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have 3 different kinds they are doing great, but I planted them in spring.

Fort Worth, TX

I planted mine in spring 2013. Not doing something right here

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have 2 Polish Spirit. One is close to my house facing north. The other is a cutting that took root & it is against the garage facing west. I really thought it might fry but they're both several years old. The north facing one does a bit better but by end of summer, they're both scraggly--lots of dead leaves. I usually trim them back before Fall & they regrow nicely. This year I didn't & they started regrowing anyway but the dead parts are still attatched. Not so pretty...in the Spring, they make tons of gorgeous purple blooms. The north one is in a bed with azaleas so gets azalea food once a year. The other is in my herb garden & gets organic fruit & veggie fertilizer, if I do it. I haven't put much effort into my gardens lately between feeling lousy & having a new obsession--jewelry making. I'm sort of an accidental gardener anyway. I read about caring for all my plants, then forget & do what's most convenient most of the time!! Good luck with your clems, garden buddies!
It appears as though my pics are upside down, so stand on your head...

Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio
Fort Worth, TX

Very nice, thank you

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.